Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

" Montana Black Gold Trap Door"

Old 04-18-2003, 06:43 PM

Default " Montana Black Gold Trap Door"

Anyone know anything obout this rest? Pros, Cons? Any information you have would be greatly appriciated!
Old 04-18-2003, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: " Montana Black Gold Trap Door"

While I don`t use one of these rests, I have installed and setup a few for my buddies.
I will say this....if I was to use a fallaway rest, this would be the one.

I have read reports that if you bump your bow, it will cause the rest to drop.

I have found that when properly adjusted, it is not the case. You would have to give your bow one heck of a wallop to set the rest off.

They tune and shoot flawlessly.

With all that said, I still say you can`t beat a GKF Golden Premier.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:29 PM
CR

I' ve been using one for about 2 months now (approx 1500-2000 shots easily) and it has worked flawlessly
Old 04-20-2003, 09:06 AM

I have had it on my bow for about a year now. I realy like the rest. I heard that some people were having problems with the rest during cold weather but that didn' t happen to me. The rest has performed without a problem. I would reccomend useing the dakota arrow holder with it. It holds the arrow realy well on this rest. And yes it' s true that if you wack the front of your riser the rest drops, it takes a solid smack not just a slight bump.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one and it worked well enough. No failures to fire or fall. It was about average as far as tunning and ease of setup. It is simple and has not cables or linkage to get hung up, but it is also possible to hit your bow in such a way as to cuase it to drop without firing. I personaly prefer the Muzzy zero effect as far as drop away rests go, but that' s more of a personal preforance.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Two thumbs up from me as well. I used one on two of my more recent bows and it performed flawlessly. As the others have stated, it does not have any linkages, etc... which makes it very low on maintenance. Its small design also helps to keep it close to the riser of the bow which, in turn makes it more rugged and less prone to get caught on brush, etc... I really liked this rest and would not hesitate to buy another.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:17 PM

I give the Trap Door my seal of approval. 10 out of 10. I' ve had it fall away on its own before, but that was my fault. I kept tapping the prongs with my fingers. Or the bow fell over while I was getting my arrows. One thing I found annoying was having to reload it shot after shot. Minor detail. It' s accurate, easy to tune and setup only takes 2 minutes. And like PAbowhntr says, no cables or stings to get hung up on. This rest is an excellent piece of archery engineering. Shoots great and its fool proof. Best 125$Canadian I ever spent.