Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

broadhead report. here we go!!!

Old 04-14-2003, 08:40 PM

Default broadhead report. here we go!!!

Please no I told you so' s , dont shoot the messinger.
I went to Ca on a biz trip. It happened to be in hog hunting central so i managed some evening hunts into my trip. Last night i stalk a big 250 lb boar and get a good 20 yrd quartering away liver lung shot. The arrow wacked like hitting a log! ( hogs are like a log) It went all the way to the super thick hide on the other side and almost poked through but backed out and the arrow completely fell out the entery hole.
That was using a rocky snyper. my bow is a MQ1 at 68 lbs, 65Lbs KE with nitro stingers for shafts. The hog ran off a huge steep hill and it was getting dark so i slid down to the trees where i saw it last and there it was staggering. I knocked up my second arrow, a rocky revolution on this one. Whack!! 10 yard i got less that 3 inches into it. nocked up my last arrow with the same tips, and same results!. I will never buy the revolutions again. I walked up behind it and made a fast grab to pull one of the revolution arrows out to shoot it again and it fell over and died thank goodness.
I just think big hogs are too much for a tip like the revolution. i would be leary to use them on deer even. But would not hesitate to use the snypers again.

Old 04-15-2003, 05:57 AM

Default RE: broadhead report. here we go!!!

Lessons to be learned!
Congrats on the Hog!
AL
Old 04-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Just a little thing I experianced myself I had the same kind of trouble but it was on a whitetail and was using a different kind of expandable that had proved itself in the past years but the one thing I did try was the nitro stingers arrows and they proved to be the problem not the broadhead try a penetration test with the nitro stinger then try a different brand you will be surprised
Old 04-23-2003, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

i had the same problem w/ the rocky mountain revolutions. i got about 4 inches of penetration on a 60 lb doe back in 2000. the shot was only 10 yards. i purchased the heads b/c they were out of rm assaisans, which i have had good luck using. in 2002 i bought some rocket steelhead 100' s. unbelievalbe results. passthroughs on 4 deer and a good bllodtrail! my faith in expandables is restored. however, i have read that the snypers were good heads.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the report and nice hog!

Old 05-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-21-2003, 07:49 PM

i shot 3 deer with the snyper 1 spine shot 1 straight down and 1 threw the lungs. all the snyper heads that is the first blade housing bent that held the blade. all deer were recovered within 40 yards.very large entrance hole smaller exit hole. i talk to a rep at a turkey and deer expo and told him what happened and they kinda just staired into outer space. they know theres a problem with these heads and thats why i got the blank staire. i would never use this head on anything bigger than a deer. this would be the greatest head in the world if they just put a tri-cut head on it .this would make it tough and it still would penatrate great.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:56 PM

Guess I am not understanding that you were 10 yards away and the head went in 3in. ? I guess that is hard to believe. I say this only because I recently spent over 70$ on them, and I am hoping they are not that bad. I think even a field point would penetrate as deep, well I guess I will find out this year.

Also, if I shot a 60lb. doe and the head did the same (went in 3in.). I would consider that a pass thru, I mean how thick is a 60lb. deer anyway?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fastpassthru

I am having a hard time seeing anyone having trouble with stingers not penetrating.I have had better penetration since going to them.I have shot down through the the edge of a deer' s shoulder and penetrated deep into the ground.I am only producing about 57 ft/lb ke.

I have shot boards to test their penetration and had complete passthrus.They seem to love 11.5% foc.

Heck I just fletched some new ones up for 3-d and shot completely through my bag.Yes it is a little worn but none of my other arrows would do it.

I do believe tune to be an issue with them(as with any arrow).I had a bow that should have yielded more ke but didn' t get a perfect tune with them and they wouldn' t perform as well out of that bow on the board but did blast thru deer.I believe the problem was I cut the back end to use 3-39 unibushings and I think that messed up the spine.My new ones I put the ady bushings that fit the arrows and didn' t have to cut anything and they fly and tune awesome.

The revolutions have a horrible reputation for lack of penetration.These heads have scared many away from ever trying any expandables again.They have a huge collar that cuts nothing and has to basically push hide out of it' s way.

I am not personally familiar with the Snypers but they seemed to do a good job for shmalts .Angle shot with an expandable on a hog.Almost complete passthru,not too bad.