Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Catawba Still Shot?

Old 07-20-2008, 04:24 PM

Default Catawba Still Shot?

I ordered a bow from my bow shop and the owner had just got a shipment of new stuff in and i was checkn it out.. he had this catawba still shot in there and said from what hes been hearin it may be better than a WB... have any of you ever used one? what do yall think about it?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:51 PM

Default RE: Catawba Still Shot?

The WB is junk and so is the Catawaba. So much needless contact between the arrow and the rest.

Also, standard helical through a Catawaba is a nightmare to tune.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

The WB is junk and so is the Catawaba. So much needless contact between the arrow and the rest.

i love my WB
Old 07-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, you aren't going to find the catawba rest any more. Bowtech purchased that company 2 years agoand it is now the Hostage rest.

I like the design of the hostage better than the WB due to the vanes not having to go through the bristlesbut not the polymer construction. However, Bowtech also makes a hostage pro that is machined aluminum with adjustable bristles for different diameter shafts. The hostage pro would be my choice.
http://fuelthehunt.com/hostagepro.php
Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 AM

yeah the hostage.. i couldnt remembmer the name so when i searched it on google thats the first thing that came up... and i agree with rory.. i like my WB
Old 07-21-2008, 09:39 PM

Based on the fact that an arrow will not pass through the whiskers at the same spot time and time again....that means the whiskers are acting upon the arrow differently each time....therefore, consistancyto the level of a dropaway rest will never be attained by a WB or Hostage rest. This will also hold true as your biscuit gets dirty/wet and/or begins to wear out.

That alone is pure and simple engineering and physics.

The BIG question is....do you need the accuracy of a drop away? If your arrow is being acted on differently by outside forces (aka whiskers) each time you shoot, the minor discrepancies will only magnify atlonger ranges. If you hunt 30yds and in, then a WB/Hostage will most likely be fine. If you shoot 3D and have targets out to 40, 50 or even 60yds, then you must re-think your setup.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Spike

I've been using the Octane Hostage Pro from Bowtech and I love it. You get all the benefits of a capture-style rest like the WB, but there is no contact with the vanes/fletchings. I use blazers on it, so I don't know how well it performs with a helixal vane. definitely recommend it.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

Catawaba is now hostage and owned by Bowtech and I think I have Just the right ammount of contact!!!