Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Arrow to shoot with General?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:29 PM

Default Arrow to shoot with General?

Hey Fellas,
I recently got a 2008 General and the guy at the pro shop sold me on some Carbon Express Terminator Lite Hunter 6075 arrows. I have a 29-30" draw and have th bow cranked down all the way 70#. The problem I'm having is that when I move out to 30 yds I have to shoot my second pin (1st is set at 20). This doesn't seem right to me. I would think I could use one pin out to thirty on this bad boy. What are your thoughts? Is the arrow too heavy? Maybe something else, or am I just expecting too much from the bow?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 PM

Default RE: Arrow to shoot with General?

You are expecting too much. The General is a great bow, and faster than most of its competitors, but it's not the fastest horse in the barn. I shoot an Allegiance set at 70lbs with a 29.5 draw, Terminator arrows, and I have a thirty yard pin. If you are that concerned with speed, you should have bought the 82nd Airborne. Even then, you would have a thirty yard pin. However, I bet if you compared your pin gap to say a Switchback you would notice a smaller gap between your pins.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

No bow is dead on accurate out to 30 yards with a pin set for 20 yards. Even my 82nd right now shooting 330fps has a 20 and 30 yard pin and necessary for pinpoint accuracy!
Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 AM

Thanks fellas! I had a feeling that was the case. I've been hunting with a Hoyt for the past few years and I needed to use a second pin for that distance too. Guess I was basing the 30 yd one pin thing on things I had been told by other hunters. I just never took the time to look into it and assumed my bow just wasn't as good/fast.

But on the other front what do you think about that arrow choice? It weighs 9.8 grains per inch. Should I be shooting something lighter for optimum performance?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

No bow is dead on accurate out to 30 yards with a pin set for 20 yards. Even my 82nd right now shooting 330fps has a 20 and 30 yard pin and necessary for pinpoint accuracy!
Rob, with all the posts I see about one pin to 30yards Ihadbegan to believe that No one else believed that!

I'm withYa Man!!

Dan
Old 02-11-2008, 06:09 PM

I shoot the 101 airborne and shoot almost every day, i shoot the same pin @20yds as i do at 30 it simply takes practice your bow is capable in a hunting situation an inch or so is not that important, the i shoot a forty and a fifty
Old 02-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't care for hold overI've been that route. That's what I like about my HHA Optimizer Ultra. One pin out to 60 yards and dead on at each and every yard

Dan
Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: 101airborne

I shoot the 101 airborne and shoot almost every day, i shoot the same pin @20yds as i do at 30 it simply takes practice your bow is capable in a hunting situation an inch or so is not that important, the i shoot a forty and a fifty
For me it is, an inch can make all the difference in the world many times!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:46 PM

9.8 gpi is a good hunting weight. You have enough weight for efficient energy transfer, and it's not so heavy that it's completely robbing you of speed. There is always a compromise between speed and energy; you just have to find your happy medium. If you are looking for a 3D bow, I would go lighter. I use the same set up for 3D as I hunt with. My arrows are right at 10 gpi, with a 460 gr total finished weight. This is typically too heavy for 3D, but I like to shoot what I hunt with so that there are no surprises when it really counts.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

i shoot a 9.8gpi st axis obsession also for hunting purpose and i 3d shoot with the same set up as if i was hunting.so if you are going to use the bow for hunting large game stick with the heavier arrow.

Quick Reply: Arrow to shoot with General?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.