Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Black ice vs marquis

Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 AM

Default RE: Black ice vs marquis

ORIGINAL: centurion

Bobkarr72

Im seriously thinking of getting the same package, seems like a great price, any thoughts, or things you would do differently?
Seriously, I wouldn't change a thing. I went with the Trophy Ridge sight because of the vertical pin alignment; just seems easier to sight in to me. I'm a fairly strong guy, but I went with a 60# DW...plenty of speed & KE to spare with that configuration and she draws back nicely. I removed the fleece from the QAD rest...the adhesive was starting to fail a bit & the fleece would be slightly off of the rest after each shot; I was worried about potential fletch contact, so I removed it. The only other thing I plan on changing is the sling. It does it's job but the cord used is kinda' rough and my bow arm wrist is a little chafed after a heavy shooting period. I'll probably go with a fleece one.

As you can see, whatever complaints I have are nitpicky at best. It's not terribly heavy @ all and I don't really notice the slight increase in A2A from the Black Ice. I really wouldn't change a thing & I fall in love with this bow more and more after every round of practice!
Old 01-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

isnt the marquis longer with shorter brace height? or do i have that backwards?

Old 01-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MdDave

isnt the marquis longer with shorter brace height? or do i have that backwards?
That's correct!

Marquis 6 7/8" BH 34 1/2" A to A
Black Ice 7 1/2" BH 32" A to A

Dan
Old 01-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

might be a dumb question..but why would people want a longer bow with shorter brace height?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:58 PM

Dave,
In this case, the riser is longer and provides more stability and balancein the shooter's hand.
The short brace provides a faster arrow "usually" bc the arrow stays on the string longer and you're taking advantage of the power stroke longer.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:26 AM

Bobkarr72

Yeah i think the only thing i will do differently is a capture rest and a 70lb draw weight, but dollar for dollar that package is a good deal. I have seriously contemplated a Black Ice leftover bow for 460 dollars but they dont have any 70 lbers left and i would have to piece it together, decisions, decisions......
Old 01-30-2008, 05:30 AM

MdDave

A longer bow is less prone to torquing and when you compare it to a 31'' a-a bow its really only an 1-1/2'' on either end, not like a 36 or bigger. With that said my current bow is 32'' a-a so it wouldnt be a big difference. Like someone else has said it has a longer power-stroke, must be how they get such good speed from it.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

I would give up speed anytime for the longer brace height, especially if you intend to hunt with it in the later months of the hunting season. Short brace heights are definately more prone to string slap, when using bulkier clothing, such as a coat, at that point you can throw shooting form right out the window! Short brace heights are fine for 3-D shooting,,,,, for hunting, longer brace height is the way to go!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: whitetailcrazy

I would give up speed anytime for the longer brace height, especially if you intend to hunt with it in the later months of the hunting season. Short brace heights are definately more prone to string slap, when using bulkier clothing, such as a coat, at that point you can throw shooting form right out the window! Short brace heights are fine for 3-D shooting,,,,, for hunting, longer brace height is the way to go!
Although the Black Ice is one of the best single cams I have ever shot. I must say.
The Marquis has the Short Stop String Suppressor. No String slap there

Dan
Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Dan, didn't know that about the Marquis............... I was making a generalization

Quick Reply: Black ice vs marquis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.