Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bowtech Question

Old 01-20-2008, 02:03 PM

Default Bowtech Question

I finally found a couple hours the other day to make it out to one of the local Bowtech dealers.

They had the General, 82nd, Guardian, all 60lbs, at 29" draw lengths (thinking I am around 28-28.5) so they were not exactly optimal, but I think it was close enough to get an idea of how they shoot, as I have read on these forums, the General felt the best, and the 82nd was hands down fastest (or sure seemed like it, especially coming from shooting a Hoyt Magnetec for the last 5-6 years)

My question is what exactly does the smooth draw modules offer as opposed to the speed modules?

The General seemed to be the smoothest bow, smoothest in drawing, and once I had the string back, if the string creeped ahead a little bit, it didn't seem like it was ready to go.

The guardian, once it was at full draw if I let up even a smidge, that string felt like it was ready to go, didn't like that at all.

The 82nd was pretty cool, except I don't know if I really cared for the hump just before full draw, I like a nice smooth draw when in the bowstand, the 82nd made me jerk to get it all the way back, maybe this is something that goes away with practice?

Will the smooth draw modules smooth out the 82nd? the General also had this problem but not as bad as the 82nd. do the smooth modules ship with these bows? the 82nd said 333fps, and the General was at 298fps of that helps.....

Old 01-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowtech Question

I actually like the Guardian's Draw curve the best out of the bows you have mentioned. Smooth mods will make the draw much smoother and flatten the hump on models where they are available, but you will lose 7 to 8 fps. Within reason the draw curve is the last thing I worry about when choosing a bow and as long as you are not over-bowed your muscles become accustomed to it quickly and it soon feels like second nature. Ask yourself exactly what you are looking for in a bow.
Noise level?
Hand Shock?
Speed?
Forgivness?
Weight?
A to A length?
Decide which are the most important to you and choose the model that seems to best fill the bill for you.

Don't worry about what your buddy or anyone else shoots. Pick the model that has the Traits You are looking for

Dan
Old 01-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

i have general and pro shop had to order the smooth cams....they have mailed them to me hope to get them tomorrow i will let you know the difference. i'm getting used to the way the speed cams draw thou
Old 01-20-2008, 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Ask yourself exactly what you are looking for in a bow.
Noise level?
Hand Shock?
Speed?
Forgivness?
Weight?
A to A length?
Decide which are the most important to you and choose the model that seems to best fill the bill for you.

Don't worry about what your buddy or anyone else shoots. Pick the model that has the Traits You are looking for

Dan

My main concern going in was the ability to shoot one pin to 30 yards, then I thought I was concerned with A-A length, speed, draw weight (still waffling between 60 and 70 pound bow), and weight of bow.

First shop I went to was a bowtech/elite shop (they will be carrying PSE later this year)

Will be trying a variety of bow manufacturers, if I am going to be dropping $700+ on a new bare bow, I want it to be what I like the best, not what looks the best on a website, that being said, i really did like the General, but the speed of the 82nd is hard to dismiss.....
Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Just went through the same exact situation. I decided on the 101 and love it for the speed. I tried the 60# but opted on the 70#. Just means that I have to practice more. I have it set for 64#s and I am getting comfortable with it. I do ride over the hill 1 out of 40 times. I'd like to shorten my draw by a half inch to see if that helps. I certainly agree with the others. Pick what is most important to you. Shooting at a distance was important to me so I picked speed. It shoots flat at 60 yards. Amazing weapon.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

i bought a tribute last year. but i shot the guardian alot trying to make my final decision.even though i like the tribute, i kind of wish i would have bought the guardian. it is a lot smoother draw.

p.s. what part of central wi you from?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Another Bowtech Wisconsinite here from Rapids. How bout you guys?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: dandbuck

Another Bowtech Wisconsinite here from Rapids. How bout you guys?
Just down the road, sort of, Waupaca area......
Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

i'm stuck in the middle in amherst.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:18 PM

101st with the smooth mods....when they actually start shipping them to customers.Hands down

Quick Reply: Bowtech Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.