Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Hoyt Katera?

Old 12-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hoyt Katera?

Yes, but Hoyt is very tough to beat when you consider their history. I have owned Hoyts, Bowtechs, Bear and Pearson bows and Hoyt seems to have an edge in quality and workmanship.IMO....
Old 12-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not what you would call an expert in the archery category, since I just bought a bow yesterday, but I shot the Katera about a month ago, and IMO, it was the smoothest shooting bow I have ever shot, and i have shot a lot of bows while I was looking for one.All it had on it was a sight and a peep. I would have loved to buy it, but settled for an '04 ViperTec.

It was a SWEET shooting bow, though.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

Hoyt as put bows through alot of crap before putting them on the market the Hoyt Katera and the Hoyt Trykon i believe were dry Fired over 1500 times and didnt break !!!!!!!! as far as the If you dont understand Hoyt you dont understand bow hunting that was a hit below the belt alot of people have alot of success with different styles of bows!!! But Hoyt is the way to go in my opinion!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Please explain "smooth shooting bow" because I want a smooth drawing bow. For example, a single cam bow draws easier than a 2 cam or 1 1/2 cam bow. I have a Diamond Black Ice set at 65 lbs.and it draws like 50 lbs. Is the Katera in this kind of smooth drawing league.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:06 PM

It's a little subjective. I don't like a bow that draws hard in the first couple of inches - especially if is has a short brace height - but don't really mind one that gets harder as it comes back - kinda like a recurve with let-off. These high IBO rated bows are getting the extra speed with agressive cams - and this type of cam is going to have the full draw weight of the bow bearing along almost it's entire draw cycle. It's going to get there very early in the draw cycle - and likely have a shorter brace height. They are getting better about balancing speed and smooth draw cycles - but they are a bit of an oxymoron.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a lot of bows including Mathews and Bowtech. To me the Katera XL still shot the best. Everyone looks for something different in a bow. Since Hoyt came out with the Tec riser design I have not found a bow that I shoot better so I am sticking with them. BowTech would be a close second but the Mathews I have never shot very well. I think it has more to do with the grip then anything else.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I just shot the Katera last night, and man was I impressed. I shoot a Hoyt Powertech right now, and it was a much smoother draw,and a lot less hand shock. I just cant jusify the $800 pricetag right now, especially with a perfectly good bow right now.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto on the high price!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: craitchky

I just shot the Katera last night, and man was I impressed. I shoot a Hoyt Powertech right now, and it was a much smoother draw,and a lot less hand shock. I just cant jusify the $800 pricetag right now, especially with a perfectly good bow right now.
Yeah, i was really impressed with it too. The one I shot didn't even have a stabilzer,and it shot really smooth. At 20 yards, I put 4 arrows into 3-4 inch circle. I would have bought it in a heartbeat if I would have had the cash. Don't we all wish we had the cash.......................
Old 12-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

thats the only thing wrong with hoyt the price tag i mean my hoyt Katera Xl is 800 plus all of the goodies is pushing the price tag over 1100 $ but is well worth the money put 2 inch clay pigons out at twenty yards 3 of them and shot 2 with 3 arrows !!! the one i missed i was shooting standing up the other one i was sitting on the floor shooting!!!