Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

arrow question

Old 12-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Spike

Default arrow question

im getting into fletching my own arrows and stuff and I need a little help. Im using 28 in Easton St. Epic 400 arrows with 2 in blazer vanes. At the local archery shot the guy sells them without wraps and installs the inserts and cuts them to length. I would like to do all the arrow work by myself but i really dont know how. Especially when I want to put wraps on with my blazers but they come at the shop without them causing different flight. Does anyone think they can help tell me how to build my own arrows?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: arrow question

I just use a jig that sets the vanes were they're supposed to be, some glue, I use super glue for everything and a saw. Most arrows come with nocks and inserts so you only need the vanes and wraps. Directions are simple, you just lack the practise. Acetone will remove super glue. Becareful with it because most cleaners will melt nocks and lables.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Spike

okay thanks
Old 12-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before gluing in inserts you have to clean out the carbon dust inside the shaft. Best thing to use is denatured alcohol or acetone applied with a QTip.

Before fletching you need to clean the area to be fletched using the same solvent. If you plan on using wraps then no cleaning is necessary, but it won't hurt.

One reason you might get different flight using wraps is that wraps weigh something, usually about 10 grains, give or take a couple. This changes the balance (FOC) of the arrow, and makes it act stiffer.

You can use any type of adhesive you'd like, but I prefer to use 2 part 24hr epoxy for inserts. Here's why. I make up arrows for 3D and arrows for hunting. The ones I use for hunting are dedicated to that venue. I install my broadhead ferrules in those inserts before installing them. Once installed I spin test the arrow to ensure that the broadhead will have perfect alignment to the shaft. If there is any wobble I can turn the inserts and check again till they are perfect. If put in with any sperglue you can't do this. OH,, and once this is done I never take the broadhead off the arrow, because once you do this there is no guarantee it will align the same way again. Just being anal about it. That's why I pick heads that the blades install from the front (Muzzy or InnerLoc).