Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

General Guide to Broadhead Selection...

Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 PM

Default RE: General Guide to Broadhead Selection...

ORIGINAL: passthru79

My wife is getting right at 36ft. lbs of KE in her set up at the moment. I have her shooting 100 grain NAP hellrazors. They are a cut on contact head with a 1 1/8 cutting diameter. She is 3 for 3 on whitetails this year. One was at 19 yards and another was 25 both were complete passthroughs and the third was 39 yards. The arrow didnt go completely through but the buck went less than 40 yards.
39 yds for us low ke folks is a long poke. Congrats to your wife. On the long shot, did the broadhead happen to hit the opposite shoulder or leg bone? Or did the arrow just run out gas before acheiving a passthru?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

I used 3 blade muzzys with great luck on hogs and deerwhen I was at 37lbs of kinetic energy. I think I'm up to 48lbs now and I'm still using the muzzys. (don't see a reason to change)

Old 12-12-2007, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have some info on my website like that. There are no "hard and fast" rules but the more info one has the better and more informed his or her choice will be.
www.broadheadtests.com
Old 12-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doegirl, unfortunately the deer had enough time from the time my wife released until the arrow got there to take a step and turn away from us.The arrow entered the left ham and penetrated fairly well considering it hit the leg bone pretty solid. Luckily the broadhead cut the femoral and he didnt go 40 yards max. Thats one reason why I always preach use the sharpest broadhead you can. In all actuality she shouldnt have shot that far but thats my fault, I ranged it and thought to myself 39 yards is a chip shot, not realizing how slow her bow is andnot taking into conisderation that the deer could take a step or two by the time her arrow got there. Not taking anything away from her, she is a heck of a shot at fourty.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:00 PM

[/align]
[blockquote]
[quote]ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I'm inclined now to put the slipcam style mechs in the 45+ category, since the ke required to open those is next to nil.
Actually , all expandable heads require little measurable amount of K.E. gain (in percentage terms)to actuate.
TheextraK.E. that is often spoken of (in referring to expandables) is due to the cutting area being larger and therefore requiring more energy for same penetration.

In testing we found that a jackknife style expandable needed 3# more K.E. for total actuation in comparison to a fixed head of the same size.
[/blockquote]
Old 12-14-2007, 09:07 PM

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: 5 shot

I have some info on my website like that. There are no "hard and fast" rules but the more info one has the better and more informed his or her choice will be.
www.broadheadtests.com
I would agree and like to add that the list I put up is for worst case scenario which refers to a scapula strike which is the most common area impacted which occurs in loss of the whitetail.
The list is based on testing which was done on 2 1/2 yr. old whitetails.
The weights , distances reflect the point at which an arrow can still clear 10" of penetration.
(10" is the second lung on the off shoulder side)
As was stated on the chart......best performance.
Best doesn't concern itself with what will do some times
[/blockquote]