Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

shoot like my field points..who cares?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shoot like my field points..who cares?

ORIGINAL: MNM

Yes I am Kidding, Relax, Why not just practice with last years broadheads and call it a day.
Thank god
Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I am Kidding, Relax, Why not just practice with last years broadheads and call it a day.
Because then my bow would not be tuned correctly. I do practice with broadheads but when the fieldpoints and broadheads group in the same place at any distance then I know I have the best setup for me to take in the woods.

I want to clarify something here. The result of having my bow tuned very well is that my broadheads and fieldpoints hit in the same spot. I try to get my bow and arrows tuned so thatthey shoottheir best, even when conditions are not the best, and a byproduct of doing that is that my arrows, regardless of tip (field, broadhead, blunt, judo), all shoot to the same spot.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Because then my bow would not be tuned correctly. I do practice with broadheads but when the fieldpoints and broadheads group in the same place at any distance then I know I have the best setup for me to take in the woods.

I want to clarify something here. The result of having my bow tuned very well is that my broadheads and fieldpoints hit in the same spot. I try to get my bow and arrows tuned so thatthey shoottheir best, even when conditions are not the best, and a byproduct of doing that is that my arrows, regardless of tip (field, broadhead, blunt, judo), all shoot to the same spot.
Yep what he said...

Also well tuned equipment will get better penetration due to the fact the arrow is entering straight and not sideways...
Its very hard to get an arrow to got though an animal sideways ...
Old 11-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

I practice with broadheads only, never saw the point in using something I can't hunt with for practice. I also never really concerned myself with groupings since it's highly unlikely that a second identical shot will present itself, so I concentrate on hitting the target the first time. No sense overcomplicating things if you don't have to.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:13 PM

I guess if broadheads are entering the target straight and group well, it ain't broke. Still, I like having the bow tuned to shootfixed broadheads and field points to the same spot. I have one bow that, so far, I have been unable to get tuned like this. Best I can get it is with field points hitting about 2.5" higher than fixed broadheads. In this case, going to have to either use an expandable or move the sights right before hunting season. Bow groups great and arrows enter the target straight, BTW.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

It ensures my bow is in tune. I match the weight of my broadheads to that of my field tips, and with good equipment, they should fly the same.
I dfont want my hunting tips to fly any different than what I practice with.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: geogj

BG
So if your bow is properly tuned with your broadheads/field points why would have to move your sights around???
That's just the point. With a properly tuned bow you don't have to move the sight when shooting one or the other.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

I practice with broadheads only, never saw the point in using something I can't hunt with for practice. I also never really concerned myself with groupings since it's highly unlikely that a second identical shot will present itself, so I concentrate on hitting the target the first time. No sense overcomplicating things if you don't have to.
Kevin,

here again, there are those of us that shoot year round. Indoor target, indoor 3D, 3D outdoors, field shooting during the summer. We are not all JUST bowhunters. Archery is almost a full time hobby. And some of us have a bow for each venue set up with particular arrows, rest, sights and the whole nine yards.

Hunting season is a time of year that I enjoy, but I don't feel I have to kill a deer any more. In fact, it's been 8 years now since I shot my last one. Since I've been a little boy I've always enjoyed the woods and all nature has to offer. But frankly, just sitting around in a treestand waiting for a particular deer gets awfully boring at times. And I don't find it fun any more freezing my gonades or sitting out in a freezing rain---not any more.

But just because I don't hunt 365 days a year doesn't mean I shoot badly tuned equipment. Really, I get most of my enjoyment tinkering most of the year. Rarely do I leave a bow alone for more than a couple weeks. Always changing something just to see what happens.

OK, I rant too much. BUT, why do I personally shoot so much? Because I don't golf.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: geogj

All
Hope your season is going well, just curious as to whyso manypeople are concerned with their broadheads grouping with their field points??? It seems to me you dont hunt with your field points so why be so concerned with field point grouping unless you want to save your archery target from some wear and tear. You read alot of postsabout this subject any thoughts?
Whenmy broadheads group withmy fieldpoints it indicates that I have my bow tuned the way I want it and that my setup (bow AND arrows) will be most forgiving under adverse circumstances.

Nice Avatar!! Nothing like Rotts!

Dan