Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

I am soooooo finished with Bass Pro Shops!!! ***Update***

Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 AM

Default I am soooooo finished with Bass Pro Shops!!! ***Update***

Well folks, Bass Pro finally drew the final straw on Friday.....I had a new peep sight and string leeches put on the 'ole bow on Friday. Shot the bow all weekend, and noticed Sunday that on my lower cam, the serving was all chewed off and thecable was starting to fray. I took it back in to Bass Pro, and it seems that the genius that installed my peep and leeches decided that the cables were on the wrong side of the guide rod. So he switched them. Pulled the cable out of alignment with the cam, and it just started chewing up everything. Then he had the balls to tell me it would cost me"about $100to get new cables installed and the guide clamp re-aligned". I pretty much told him where to put that new cable. I took it to a Pro Shop on Saturday and they installed the new cables for $28...Good thing I noticed it when I did... BEFORE it exploded in my hands.I should think a bow set at 70# draw could cause quite a problem if the cable burst at full draw.

Needless to say, I am never going back...And I'm sending them the bill for the new cables.

Is anyone else fed up with their "clueless" employees being allowed to work on bows? Especially when they know nothing about archery equipment or supplies.

Thanks for letting me vent, and sorry for taking so long to post this...
Old 10-02-2007, 08:02 AM

Default RE: I am soooooo finished with Bass Pro Shops!!!

Really too bad. I think you did the right thing with bringing to a pro shop. I have had less than great experiences at Gander Mountain and Sportsmans Warehouse, as a result of know nothing employees.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

That wasnt a Bass Proo in Tx was it? I was about to take my bow in this weekend to get some work done. Sorry to hear about the bad luck and I am glad you caught it when you did.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:04 AM

It's a shame it takes stuff like that for people to see the light. BassPro hires off the street, and those folks may or may not have archery knowledge. Which is why the PRO SHOP is now, and will always be, the very best place to go.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is another reason I'm doing my best to learn all I can about how to work on my bow.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

When bass pro opened in clarksville in just above louisville ky I went there and some kid with O bowhunting experience came over and started trying to push products on me. I patiently listened for awhile then blew. When I asked him how many game animals he had actually gotten with bow he admitted O. Then I proceeded to list my experience-starting in 1974(before he was thought of),getting 33 bucks,4 elk bulls,5 turkey,not counting does,groundhogs,boar,etc,with 9 of the last 10 of my bucks being at least 20" inside spread. Not a great record but I've been happy to just go hunting. The kid looked like he was trying to crawl inside his own nosehole. By that time a whole croud had gathered and they started asking ME about the products!!! Then the department manager came over and asked me if I wanted a job.That was the first,last,and only time I've been bass pro.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I admitI buy stuff from catalogs or big box stores, but when it comes to working on my equipment, if I don't know how to or have the tools to do it myself, it goes to the pro shop.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:19 PM

I feel that i have to defend BPS, a little. I was a assistant manager for awhile before i decided to fisnish my degree. I had the privilage of opening up a store. out of the 950 people who applied for the fishing department i wasw one of the lucky 25 who got a job. After we were hired we spent 2 weeks listening to vendors explain why their product was the best, boring but we got a lot of free stuff. we then had a 20 page booklet to go over and would be tested about. if we passed(90% or higher) we kept our jobs 21 of us kept our jobs. So BPS does hire very qualified people. THis is the end of my defense.
After awhile employees were fired or quit, we needed replacements. instead of going through rigorious tests and questioning my boss( who hardly new anything about fishing and originally applied for the customer service manager, but tricked the store manager into thinking he was some great fisherman and got the fishing job, completely different story) hired pretty much the next person who gave him a application. over the course of the year more quality employees quit and guys who fished now and then and main selling points on higher end reels and rods was "at that price it better catch the fish for ya!" were highered. others got the job bought a ton of things at the employee discount and quit.
I know that you will never go back but in the future and for everyone else reading this: if you do go to BPS, Cabelas, Gander Mtn, etc, etc and come into comtact with an idiot who doesn't belong there ask for there manager or politely leave and find someone else. THere are people who work at these stores and are EXTREMELY knowledgable in there departments.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

If any of you are like myself and pretty much live in Basspro or Cabelas then you know that you have to study your surroundings. Sooner1982, I would have asked for the manager and had BP fix everything free ofcharge. Im sure they would have been more than willing too.I have purchased I dont know how many guns from BP and two bows from there but before I do any of that, I read up on what I have in mind and I go from there so when some one is trying to get a quick sale and doesnt have anyidea of what they are talking about, I can just say,"Thank you!" and move on. When I go in there now I know exactly who to go too and what Ive noticed is that the ones with the most knowledge usually have someone tagging along so if they are not in there when i walk in the store, I just go to the tag along. Works! for me.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

I had never been to a Bass Pro until the one here in San Antonio opened up. I have since bought two guns there and have had decent luck. I go there about every other week because my kids like to look at all the mounts. I have spoken to several folks who admitted to not knowing a question and going to get someone more knowledable. Lately the Cabelas in Buda, Tx has lost my business with help that is non-existant. I used to work at Gander and saw alot of folks who knew zero. I think before buying anything talk to several employees and see what happens. I agree with the previous post that I would have made them redo all work. If any other problems with bow, then all work is traced to one source verse each one blaming the other. Good luck!
Jake

Quick Reply: I am soooooo finished with Bass Pro Shops!!! ***Update***

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.