Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

hip quivers

Old 08-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default hip quivers

Do meny of you all out there use hip quivers. How do they work if you are wearing a backpack or phanypack and doing alot of hiking on an elk hunt. would you recomend them for an elk hunt and stalking in the desert. thanks for the opinions.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:36 PM

Default RE: hip quivers

I wanted to buy a hip quiver but decided to put my quiver on my backpack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfYBPlYLEGE

Francis
Old 08-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes,I use a hip quiver, although I just hunt whitetails.

I started using a hipquiver in place of a bow quiver a long time ago.

I did a lot of still hunting years back on a farm that was really overpopulated with deer. I found my bowarm very sore and tired after stalking around holding that bow with a quiver full of arrows attached.

I switched to a hip quiver and never went back. Much less weight on the bowarm. I usually hunt from a treestand nowadays. I just strap the hipquiver to the side of the stand now. I like that the bow quiver and arrows aren't there to scratch against the branches of the tree to alert deer.

I'd imagine you have the same problem elk hunting.( the extra weight on the bow)

Now for what I don't like about it;

I do have problems carrying a treestand with a hip quiver.

Also have a problem kneeling or crawling with it on.

I can't sit on the ground without removing it from my hip.

There is alot of movement when I walk with it and tie the strap around my knee. The hip quiver really moves around if you walk too fast.

It is harder crossing a barbed wire fence

Just wanted to throw these things out there.

I still like a hipquiver though. Just don't like all that stuff hanging on my bow.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:09 AM

Mac, this is probablyanother one of those subjective preference things. The guys I have talked to that wear hip quivers seem to be really affected by a little (normally off center of riser) additional bow weight. Guys that swear by bow mounted quivers, can't stand having something swinging from their waste, and hate them when having to pass through tangled brush etc. So far I like the Alpine archery soft-loc 5 that I have mounted on my bow. Very quiet, easy to remove from your bow if your not wanting it while at the range. But, at the range I use a Bohning hip mounted quiver for packing my arrows around. The good news is that you could probably buy both and notspend a fortune. Good luck.