Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Spott Hogg Whammy

Old 06-24-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Spott Hogg Whammy

I read on another forum that the cam timing and let off of the Bowtech Binary cams were affected by drop away rests tied to the down cable. It seems that the pulling of the cable causes the let off % to change from 80% to 65% and to make matters worse the cams will be out of sync.
I had a drop zone on the Tribute i just got, and checked it w/ my hanging bow scale. Sure enough the letoff was only about 68%. I wasn't able to tell if the cam sync was out w/ the equipment I have, but figured this to be true also.

This led me to the Whammy. The Whammy's activation trigger cable is tied into the UP cable of your bow, so as not to affect the timing and let off of a particular bow.
If you have not seen the video of the Whammy on Spott Hogg's web site I recommend it's viewing.
Setting up the Whammy is really much simpler than the video details. I found all that is necessary to properly set up and time the Whammy is to tie the Whammy activation cord about 5 inches below the cable rod. Next insert the supplied allen wrench into the little hole and loosen the set screw on the trigger. Pull the cord tight , but not too tight. Just enough so thebottom of thetiming hole on the trigger is FLUSH with the top of the Whammy bar. Tighten the set screw.
Tightening the cord attachment so the hole is 1/2 coveredmakes the Whammy drop sooner and come up sooner than you may want. If it comes up too soon it will cantact the fletching.
Conversely, loosening the Whammy cord too much and the rest will not activate.
My tribute shoots 285fps. w/ a 7 1/2in bh. I think that all bows will set up a little differently but for most parallell limb bows , the bottom of thehole being flush w/ the top of the Whammy bar should provide good drop and reload timing.
You will see in the pics. that I added a set of slick tubes to the prongs to quiet the draw. None are supplied. Because the slick tubes narrow the width between the prongs I angled then slightly to open them up. This made the Whammy absolutely silent. I lastly , powder tested the Whammy w/ about 30 arrows just to make sure of the results. no contact at all.

I would give the Whammy my recommendation to anyone. A little trial and error MAY be necessary to time it though. then again , maybe not.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:29 PM

Default RE: Spott Hogg Whammy

My son was holding my bow so the pics' might be a little fuzzy.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second that , its a great rest
Old 06-29-2007, 09:15 PM

I have an update on the Whammy.
I got a reply from josh Johnson at Spott Hogg today. I had PM'ed him from another forum about the set up problems I was having.
His response is that the Whammy IS NOT compatible with the Tribute.
Hmmm!!! I wonder if my rest is not working properly?

My guess would be that parallell limbbows that are "beyond parallell", or close to it, don't have enough cable travel to activate the Whammy.

I'm going to powder test again and check my results. The jury is still out.