Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Preparing Arrow Shafts And Vanes For Fletching?

Old 06-18-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Preparing Arrow Shafts And Vanes For Fletching?

Just wondering what you guys/gals use to clean the arrow shaft and the vane base prior to fletching them. Last time I used AAE Arrow Shaft Cleaner and followed the instructions but my shafts came out with a white residue on them after I had already fletched them. I have tried to take the residue off with Isopropyl 99% but it just shows up again after it dries. I used the Isopropyl to clean the vane bases prior to fletching and I think that worked fine. The bond seems to be good but the cosmetic damage of the residue influences me not to usethe AAE cleanerproduct again. What do you think of this and what products/cleaners do you use?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Preparing Arrow Shafts And Vanes For Fletching?

WATER.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:53 PM

I thought that you were supposed to clean the shaft and vane base free of oil and dirt before gluing for vane adhesion. And I know that water does not mix with oil,which means that it would not be able to get rid of it. I doubt the glue would be able to bond with the oil too so therfore part of the vane is not glued and come come off. Am I right?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 PM

Try acetone, use a well ventilated place and hand protection.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:01 PM

Where do I get acetone and is it an acid? I only ask because you said wear hand protection. Could acid harm the carbon shafts?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do not use any chemicals such as acetone, alcohol, etc... if you are using fast setting glues. WATER only.

ONLY use these chemicals if you are using the solvent based, slow setting glues like fletch tite.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:13 PM

Could you please explain your reasoning. I used Isopropyl 99% on the vane bases when I fletched my arrows and used Goat Tuff Glue which is as fast as krazy glue. It seems to be a strong bond. I don't undersdtand the science or reasoning behind your post.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know the specific reasons why or why not but Iknow beyond a shadow of a doubt that acetone does reduce the bonding strength of fast setting glues.I wish i did but I am not a chemical major. Call any of the glue manufacturers and ask. They will tell you the same thing.

http://newarchery.com/documents/190606050406.pdf
Old 06-20-2007, 06:10 PM

So would you say that Isopropyl is a chemical and should not be used?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frpm Bohning's webpage:[*]Step 1) Cleaning shaft. Arrow builders use different chemicals to remove old adhesive, paint or arrow wraps from the shaft. Acetone, lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol are a few of the solutions that work very well for this. Wipe the shaft until all old residue is gone. Remember that this is only the first step.[*]Step 2) Prepping the shaft surface. Using hot water, wash the shaft with an abrasive detergent, such as the environmentally safe Bohning SSR Arrow Shaft Surface Cleaner. Scrub with a scotch-brite pad until shaft appears dull. Rinse in hot water and air dry. (This will bring the PH level on the surface of the shaft as close to zero as possible, allowing for the absolute best adhesion).

There is no need to clean the vane bases before fletching. The base of every Bohning vane is chemically treated to promote excellent adhesion.

From truflight's webpage:

How Should I Prepare The Shaft For Feather Fletching?

[blockquote]
We normally begin by wiping the fletching area of the shaft with alcohol, then lightly scuff the area with 600 grit sandpaper or fine steel wool. We do a final alcohol wipe a few minutes before fletching.

From Gateway feather's webpage:

D. Attach Feathers to ArrowsScuff the fletching area of the arrow with fine grit sandpaper or steel wool. Clean this same area using a solvent recommended by the manufacturer, keeping in mind rubbing alcohol always works.

[/blockquote]
I've read more than a few articles where they use rubbing alcohol. I use acetone (nail polish remover) without problems. Just let it dry for 5 minutes or more.

Quick Reply: Preparing Arrow Shafts And Vanes For Fletching?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.