Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

LONG SHOOT

Old 03-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Spike

Default LONG SHOOT

I WAS TOLD WHEN I GET MY NEW BLACK ICE I SHOULD SET IT UP WITH A FIVE PIN SIGHT FOR 20 TO 70 YARDS . ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:14 PM

Default RE: LONG SHOOT

If you can ethically and sufficiently kill something at that distance...sure, go ahead and put a five pin site on. But if you are just gonna wound something...then what's the point?

If this is a target bow...it couldn't hurt to have more pins for competition shooting.

Best of luck.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Spike

NO IT'S NOT A TARGET BOW . BUT IS THERE A MAX YARDAGE THAT MOST SHOOT AT?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just want to let you know that going in that direction is opening up a can of worms.Put shortly every one will have a different "max range" depending on skill level, amount of practice and so on. My personal max distance is 50 yards and i will be working on extending that before i go out west within the next couple of years. Some will say this is to far, but i know what i can do and that is that. Itis all up to you on how far you are comfortable shooting.Shoot for a while with this bow and you will soon learn what youcan and can't do with it! Good Luck!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well put popeandyoungchaser, a five pin site is great it lets you shoot a bit further. Only draw back is it can be difficult to pick the right pin when you have five to choose from and its crunch time.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

'' Maximum range ''refers to hunting situations. Its on the practice range that we establish thisnumber. Thelonger distances you practice atthe better you will hone your skills. Its at these longer distances that you learn to relax so the pin won't bounce all over the target. I have four pins on my sight, three for hunting (20,28,& 36 yards) and one at 50 yards for long range practicing. And 50 yards is not really long range, its just all I can get in my backyard. If you can backup to 70 yards and practice, by all means do it. Just remember that when your shooting at the real thing, many potential problems could occur that could cause complete disaster, so your effective range when practicing should be lowered when deciding your maximum hunting range.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Spike

thanks for all of the input . my back yard is 14 acres . i think i will just start out about 20 yards and go out from there. think i would like to have about a 50 to 60 yard max. every thing i seen this season was between 50 and 70 yards . any time i moved to get closer they moved to . thanks again.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bow 66

NO IT'S NOT A TARGET BOW . BUT IS THERE A MAX YARDAGE THAT MOST SHOOT AT?
If you have to ask then you probably have little experience at archery, and bowhunting in particular. In this case your maximum ethical yardage should be something way less than 30 yards. Then maybe 30 to 35 yards when you can really shoot and know animal anatomy and other things about bowhunting.

Those of us with many years of experience usually limit things to about 30 yards here in the east. Some hunters in the western states may push things out to 50 yards, but strive for shorter shots.

Bowhunting is a short range sport. For shots over 50 yards they make firearms.

One thing about pin sights on bows. Most of the time less pins is better. Most people use three pins or less. More just confuses the sight picture. They're nice for long range practice, but have no place in the hunting realm unless you're near expert level.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: bow 66

thanks for all of the input . my back yard is 14 acres . i think i will just start out about 20 yards and go out from there. think i would like to have about a 50 to 60 yard max. every thing i seen this season was between 50 and 70 yards . any time i moved to get closer they moved to . thanks again.
Just remember that no matter how good at placing arrows in a target you are, it does no good if the target isn't there when your arrow arrives. Even the fastest speed bow can't get an arrow to a target in under half a second at 60 yards. A lot can happen in half a second...
Old 03-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I firmly believe that practicing at longer yardages makes you a better shot.

I practice out to 70/80 yards all the time it makes those close in shots seem like a slam dunk.

Now would I shoot at an animal at that distance no, I am a bow hunter and I like to see just how close I can get to my intended target.

Quick Reply: LONG SHOOT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.