Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Need some help with broadheads

Old 11-06-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Need some help with broadheads

This year I had my garage broke into and all of my hunting gear except my guns, bow and a treestand were stolen. I had a very limited budget to get things back in order. I had to go as cheap as possible, and decided to go with these cheap allen terminator broadheads(100 gr). They looked similar to the Satellite Mini Mags I used to shoot so I thought what the heck they're 10 dollars cheaper and look just like them. Now after having missed three deer one being a 140 class buck, I'm pissed off. I shot the broadheads today after I got back from the woods and come to realize they windplane worse than any broadhead I've ever shot. I couldn't even get a group with them, and to make sure it wasn't me. I shot the same weight field points on those same arrows and I was getting a good group at 30 yards. Can someone give me some suggestions for some good cheap broadheads that don't windplane. I have about 20 bucks to work with, and I prefer 100 grain 3 blade broadheads. All suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:53 PM

Default RE: Need some help with broadheads

Since i am against "mechanicals" and being how most of them are out of your price range anyhow, if ya got a Wal-Mart near you, most sell 3 packs of Thunderhead and Muzzy, either one will work for you. They are reputable, quality Broadheads that fly as well as fixed blades fly on a propely tuned bow. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not to beat a man when he is down but you only have yourself to be pissed at. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS shoot your broadheads before you go hunting with them.

Did you spin test your broadheads on the shafts to make shure they are perfectly aligned with the shafts?

There are a bunch of broadheads out there that are good heads. Allens aren't one of them. Just like most everything else in life, in archery you usually get what you pay for.

You can get three packs of muzzies and thunderheads for under $20.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with bigbulls on this one. Anybody who gives a hoot about bowhunting these days knows enough to check broadhead alignment and shoot them to see how they fly, and tune their equipment acordingly.

Let it be know, and it is known, that all broadheads will plane if the bow/arrow combo is not tuned properly. It doesn't matter how much the heads cost.

The fault is your own.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:16 PM

Muzzy is a great head, and right now a lot of walmarts are closing them out to get rid of the archery equipment, so the deals are there. 3 heads for anywhere from 5.00 to 13.00 closeout.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Yeap, go to wallyworld and get those muzzies and thunderheads. I'm going to get some for myself.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

I used to shoot the thunderheads until I shot them indoors at the range and observed the arrow drop 12 inches at 20 yards indooors. Never tried the muzzey , but heard good things about them.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

Muzzy is a great head, and right now a lot of walmarts are closing them out to get rid of the archery equipment, so the deals are there. 3 heads for anywhere from 5.00 to 13.00 closeout.
Yup. Just went to my local wally world and they had the 100 grain Muzzys marked down to $11.00, but apparently I was the last one to check. [:@] They even have the wisker biscuit down to like $20 or something. I've shot Muzzy's ever since I started hunting back in '95 and wouldn't shoot anything else.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Spike

I've been shooting Thunderhead 100's for years without any problems. Spin and fly great!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

I would suggest to try some Rocket Hammerheads 100gr (mech.), with a 2in cutting diameter. They have awesome flight. You can get them for about $22.50 at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Quick Reply: Need some help with broadheads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.