Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Velcro vs. Buckle

Old 09-14-2006, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Velcro vs. Buckle

Ok, for any of you Truball releaseusers, what wrist strap do you prefer and why? I'm trying to decide beteen velcro or buckle. The cyclone I tried had a velcro so I know it is comfortable and fits and that is why I'm leaning towards getting a velcro one, but from other forums, I've heard the buckle is quieter and more consistent, although the velcro is more adjustable//versatile and it usually isn't noisy unless you are taking it off. Your thoughts/opinions? My main concern is I don't know if the buckle, if I just ordered it, would be as comfortable to me as the velcro because none of the shops here seem to carry the buckle. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Velcro vs. Buckle

I have a velcro strap on mine. Once it is on, there is no noise whatsoever until I take it off
Old 09-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My T.R.U. Ball has a buckle and I LOVE it.

I used to shoot a Tru-Fire with velcro. Sometimes,the danged thing would slip when I drew, and sometimes in the woods it would catch on my coat and pull open. I shoot A LOT, and after time the material on the velcro strap stretched, thus, moving my anchor...ticked me off.

I have no problems whatsoever with the buckle. The feel is different but I got used to it in a hurry. I don't have to worry about the leather stretching. The only thing that does concern me is keeping the thing sprayed with scent killer, because leather picks up human scent in a flash.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot a tru-fire, but I love the buckle over the velcro.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot a Velcro for many years and then switched to a buckle. Neither are a bad option, but for hunting I would prefer the buckle do to no noise issues if you should for some reason wish to put it on or take it off while on stand.

With a Velcro I’d put it on and draw once before leaving camp. If you don’t, the first draw will have the Velcro tightening noise that it makes when it cinches down.

Another point I wouldn’t have believed if I wasn’t living through it right now is my accuracy will suffer if the trigger isn’t in the same spot each time.
With a buckle you find the hole you like and put a mental note on which it is. If I use the next larger hole my arrows start landing to the right. I’m sure this is an anchor issue, but one I’ve noticed lately.
Maybe those who use a peep sight can get away with less strict form consistency than my no-peep allows, but with a vlecro strap I don't see how I could consistently place the trigger in the exact same spot each time I put the release on.
In factI do remember having to adjust my old velcro on stand a time or two becuase I didn't feel likeI judged the sizing right whenI put it on in camp.

I’m shooting a Tru-ball buckle Titan now, but prefer the buckle strap on my Scott to the Tru-ball’s buckle.

BTW, you will like the new small heads on these things. I’m thinking on picking up a cyclone down the road to see if I can get used to the strap style connection.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Hmmm so the buckle might be better in terms of consistency and quiet. How do youl ike the feel of your buckle straps? Are they thick and heavy and uncomfortable or padded and light and well fitting?
Old 09-14-2006, 11:50 AM

If you ever have to take the release off in the woods you'll know why I'm saying that NOTHING in archery should have velcro; buckles or snaps only!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The break in time is longer for a buckle since they are leather.

My new tru-ball is still stiff but has given some since I've started shooting with it.
Once concern I have for you is the size of the strap.
I'm 5'9", 161# (this morning) and the strap is on the third smallest hole for me. I have a feeling this buckle is made to fit comfortable in the middle settings, I feel like I'm pushing the uncomfortable envelope on the 4rth hole on the tight side. I could be wrong, and it may feel just fine in a lower setting.
I would recommend you try one before purchasing. Even if you can't find the cyclone, any tru-ball in the buckle will answer your size & comfort questions.

Maybe that is whyI like my scott's buckle better- it is broke in. The buckle is on the opposite side of the strap as the Tru-ball's & I'm used to it being there. The tru-ball's buckle feels like it is backwards to me.

Do they make a right & left handed strap????
Old 09-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

I noticed on the TruBall website the buckle strap appears to be narrower than the velcro strap? Is this the case? Actually of al lthe Truball's I've seen, they were all the velcro straps, no buckles...unless the buckles were sold already. I guess I have to decide if I want a stiffer strap or a softer strap? I take it the velcro strap probably stretches out over time? Oh yeah. Is the buckle strap bulky because it is leather or no? I tried on a Trufire with a power strap and it felt so bulky, but then it was a Judge and Hurricane with the solid shafts.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:01 PM

I like the Velcro
1) put it on before you leave for the woods,mine has a pivot so it can swing and tuck up my sleeve.
2)the Velcro doesn't slip because it is backed up by a plastic buckle so the pressure is never directly on the Velcro.
The leather is fine also but stretches more ,so the need to poke a new hole may arise.

Quick Reply: Velcro vs. Buckle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.