Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Any success in building your own target?

Old 08-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Any success in building your own target?

Think I'm going to give this a whirl. I have a few ideas that should work hopefully. I plan on hitting up Home Depot tomorrow and looking at materials.

I'm thinking about cutting square pieces of material and stacking them. Then, placing 2x6's on top and bottom. Next, I will run a threaded rod, two on each side with washers and nuts. Tightening as needed, it should work ok....? I'm just not sure on what filler material to use.

Has anyone tried this with success?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:56 AM

Default RE: Any success in building your own target?

Use a product called seal seal. It is used to put under the bottom plate of a wall when framing a house. I have built one before. Just make sure you tighten it down enough and it works great. Probably won't last as long as a block but just as effective.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:16 AM

I know a guy who made the same thing but he used old cardboard boxes. As long as you keep it dry and it's tight it works great.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't ever built my own...however, I have been interested in doing so for a while now (just have to find the time)! I did a little searching and found this website. It seems to be a very good, durable target. See what you think and if it works out for you, let me know how you like it.
http://www.pabucks.com/homemade_target.html
Old 08-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt,

I made one like that about 20 years ago using carboard boxes, big ones. Cut them 12" thick and 4' long. Stacked them to 4' high. Even mounted it on wheels to roll it out of the shed.

It did a masterful job for many years. Just tighten down as needed. When it began to shoot through in several places I just moved the cardboard around to eliminate the holes and it lasted several more years.

Worked like a charm. And very cheap in the long run.

You could also try homesote. I know several clubs that do.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

I make mine from plastic burlap bags like grass seed commonly comes in. I take a sack & stuff it with rags, old clothes or bed linnen & stich the top shut with twine. They last a long time & when it gets shot up too bad I drop the target in a new bag & start over. If kept dry I'v never had a pass thru. ont shoot broadheads at one tho. They wont go thru but can be a pain getting out.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:39 AM

I used two good size couch cushions duct taped together.....That lasted for good long while. I shoot every day after work for about 2 hours, and the target lasted for 4 months....it only failed because it got rained on 4 times.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

Here's how I build mine. Get a good size box. Go to the supermarket to pickup some little nickle newspaper. Stack in the box and shoot. Cost nothing.