Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

wasp jack hammer broadheads

Old 08-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: wasp jack hammer broadheads

I shot a doe with one a couple of years ago through both lungs and she was done after about 50 yards. The broadhead performed nicely for me.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:03 PM

I'll second all the negatives said about the heads. Very bad on off angle shots. Great on small bucks or does or varmits broadside. Not a knock on wasp but just the simple physics of mechanicals in general.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

This is a head where you hear nothing but good things when deer are at broadside and your going through ribs (As any broad head would do). But lets face it thats not always the case in deer hunting. Most of the time your dealing with angles and with a moving animal, your not "always" going to not hit bone. It's just a fact. Look at the broad head test with these they get a low rating for durablity but great for flight. It's also afact that you loose alot of energywhen these blades have to flip allthe way back to their cutting cupacity. I've see slow motion footage of heads like this entering ablock of that clearhardjelly.The bades don't actually fold all theway back to there cutting cupacity until they are in the deer leaving a small entry wound. I shota doe withthe Jackhammerand it went throughher on an angle and hit heroposite shoulder, the head almost completely shattered. I'veheard several cases where theseblades have been sheared right off. If youhear good things aboutthis headit's coming from people that havn't hada problem yet.

Look at the stingers and look at all the people talking about how nice they fly and there style is the best penetrating head out there right now. They fly like field tips (really do) and are sharp ashell. Why would youuse amachanical when you don't need it.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

IMO...I used them the first couple years I bow hunted and I just dont have the confidence in them...I had one penetrate 1"-2" into a buck (first buck I ever shot at)..it hit his front shoulder. The blades bed VERY easily. So expect to only use the broad heads one time each.

I also dont like how big the cutting diameter is..there is more room for the arrow to hit bone and once they open up....they arent shattering bone...i dont care what poundage your shooting.

I switched from them to Stingers and I am very confident in the stingers ability...the best part is...they shoot just like field tips.