Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

ross

Old 08-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: sorry greg

Im in the market for a new bow myself and after lots of reading and asking other shooters i have narrowed it down to a Bowtech Old Glory and a Ross CR337. I have always liked a slightly longer bow, and have pretty much made up my mind that my new one had to be at least 35" axle to axle. I have looked at several diffrent bows from several diffrent manufactures. I havent shot any of them yet, but definetly will before i buy. I really liked the Ross, it looked great and appeared to be built to last, it also drew very smooth. The only thing i didnt care much for was the very small grip, but that was my only negative. Yesterday i stoped at a shop that cares Mathews and Bowtech and looked at a Old Glory, i really liked it. I talked with the owner for awhile and he really tried to get me to check out a Switchback XT. I told him that i didnt care for short bows, but he told me i had to shoot it to believe it and that it didnt shoot like a short bow. I asked him about Ross and he said the same thing everyone else was saying, great bow, well made, smooth but SLOW. He just kept talking about how slow they were and that a bowtech or mathews would blow them out of the water with hardly any effort or work at all. So i guess its still between a Ross and Bowtech but i may consider shooting a switchback before i decide. I just have alot of thinking to do, they all have such great qualities. I dont think you could loose out anyway with any bow by any of these companies. It just seems that everyone puts so much emphasis on speed, speed, speed, my PSE is shooting about 260 with a Gold Tip and 85 grain thunderhead, set on 73 pounds, and i get complete pass throughs every time. I have never shot a deer over 30 yards so im not as conserned about the flatter trajectory with a speed bow. I say shoot em all and see what you like the best.

Dave
Old 08-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

they dont have to be all that fast the deer aint any deader with one speed or another what kills deer is shot placement
Old 08-06-2006, 09:29 PM

The Ross 337 IBO is 303fps and the 334 is 305 fps. The switchback xt IBO is 315. TheswithchbackLDIBO is in the290 range. I have compared them at the local proshops and honestly, I like the Ross! Especially when the price diff. is about $200. That will help in outfitting the bow! The Ross is one sweet shooting bow, even the bare bones w/o the accessories. But, don't take my word for it, try it yourself!
Comes standard with winners choice strings, not the sorry strings on the Matthews. Both are extremely fine bows! Can't go wrong with either one.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default sorry for what?

I never said the Ross wasn't a sweet bow; in fact, without seeing one in person, I reported the general feedback I've heard from others: They're quality bows, are built with precision and have a very nice finish. If they'e $200 cheaper than the Big 3... great! Obviously saving $200 is a big bonus, and that's why I suggested looking at the Diamond line -- great quality, lower price-point and you get great speeds!

If 305 fps IBO is good enough for ya, great! I think the reason some folks mention the word slow is because my Allegiance chronos a full 30 fps faster IBO. Let me make it clear that I'm not making a "my bow is better than your bow" statement, just showing why a lot of people say that. The benchmark in measuring fps -- and correspondingly referencing what's "fast" and what's not --has certainly been raised in the last couple years.

Anyway.... I'm glad you like your Ross!!! Like I've said before, I've heard many, many good things about them!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:34 AM

Default RE: sorry for what?

finally held a ross in my hand this weekend at a shoot. didn't get to shoot it though. man is that a nice looking bow - and just like everyone has said - great attention to detail. greg, you crack me up.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:09 PM

Greg, I've heard through the rumor mill around the shop that Ross may be giving your beloved Allegiance a run for it's money. If they can get the speeds about the same, and keep their current smoothness....LOOK OUT BUDDY!!!!

ps. I know you aren't saying one is better than the other, but hey......I gotta get my shots in when I can.....[&:][8D][&o]
Old 08-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Banned

Someday all bows may catch up with the Hoyt line; but don'tholdyour breath. HCH

Old 08-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

mobow, that'd be awesome if next year's Ross would get close to last year's BowTech... [8D][8D]

Just kidding! (I sure as heck don't want to upset Gibblet... )

Seriously, I'm a firm believer that competition breeds excellence. If other companies come on to push the envelope further (and I'm not talking just speed -- but quality fit and finish and everything else associated with putting together a top-notch bow), then I'm all for it.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

If they can get the speeds about the same, and keep their current smoothness
One other thought: Herein lies the problem with any manufacturer. It's sort of the yin and yang of life, the give and take of any situation. In photography, it's the constant balancing act of shutter speeds and f-stops... Launching a drag bike or car? Horsepower vs. traction... As you well know, my friend, in our industry it's speed vs. forgiveness. The goal you cited above is a tough goal indeed... but, like I said, I hope they're able to push the envelope for all manufacturers.