Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Hoyt Trykon Question

Old 04-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hoyt Trykon Question

I have heard that the Hoyt Trykons have poor nock travel, kind of like a "U" shaped path and that it would be hard to get fixed blade broadheads to fly well out of this bow. This info came fron a dealer, however he IS biased towards Mathews. I just want to see what the people on this board say, most importantly the ones who have this bow and have shot fixed blade broadhads from it.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hoyt Trykon Question

All hybrid or single cam bows have slightly less than level nock travel, but they can be tuned to shoot broadheads very well. My buddy's Trycon shoots bh awesome. Don't let people talk you out of something, go experiment with different bows and choose the one you like best.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:12 PM

My Trykon XL shoots great with both fixed and mechanical broadheads. That dealer of yours is really biased and doesn't know what he is talking about. I have no problem adjusting my sights to compensate for drag and drop of the arrow fixed with a broadhead. More importantly, I just used ABC SONIC fixed broadheads this year with my Trykon XL, one on a coyote, and just yesterday, on an albino turkey. No adjustments, no problem, and massive damage to the vitals on the bird and the canine. My advice, don't listen to your dealer, as he is taking a generalization of hybrid cams and applying it to any bow that is not Matthews etc etc.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your replies. I think that my question was a little unclear though. What I mean by shooting broadheads well is that they should shoot the same as a field point. Now I know that the type of broadhead has a lot to do with that as well though. I shoot Wasp Boss Bullets out of my Cybertech and they shoot the same (EXACTLY) as my field points. I have also tuned my bow very well too. According to the dealer though, the Trykon will not shoot broadheads the same no matter what you do. I personally do not believe this, so that is why I am asking you guys.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:20 AM

My Trykon has been paper-tuned and shoots mechanicals (NAP Shockwaves) exactly like field-points. I haven't tried fixed-blade, yet...I'll keep you posted!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Matchbook454

Thanks for your replies. I think that my question was a little unclear though. What I mean by shooting broadheads well is that they should shoot the same as a field point. Now I know that the type of broadhead has a lot to do with that as well though. I shoot Wasp Boss Bullets out of my Cybertech and they shoot the same (EXACTLY) as my field points. I have also tuned my bow very well too. According to the dealer though, the Trykon will not shoot broadheads the same no matter what you do. I personally do not believe this, so that is why I am asking you guys.
There will always be drag on certain types of broadheads, both mechanical and fixed. For example, my ABC Sonics and Hypershocks fly exactly like fieldpoints. ABC Sonics are designed to screw in to match your vanes geometry, so there is no complications in flight. With every bow, you will see a difference in shooting ability. Sights, rests (especially with a difference between drop-aways to standard uprights), the shooters ability, setup and the design of the bow will defiantely be slightly to greatly different from each other. The Trykon XL and the Trykon, to the Matthews Switchback to the Bowtech Tribute, all the bows tuned right will shoot broadheads well enough without heavy adjusting or tuning. In my post, I was merely saying, with todays bows, you can get away with enough technology, whatever bow you choose, to use that toward boradheads and arrow types. And like I said about your dealer, I still feel he is smoking something when he says that the Trykon " will not shot broadheads the same no matter what you do". I have proven him wrong, as others. I am glad you chose to get opinions and factual evidence from here, because just listening to your dealer alone can limit your choices for the wrong reasons... Good luck to whatever you do....!!!
Old 04-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Coyote stalker. I'm going to get a Trykon. I just need to sell my Cybertech first. Have it posted here and on Ebay as well. Hopefully it won't take long, it's a really good bow, just looking to upgrade.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

NCYankee, How heavy are your arrows and have you chrono'd yet?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Banned

Well I just joined this forum and this is my 1st post. My wife and I both just traded our hoyts in for the trykon and man what a bow!! I had the X-tec and she had the sierra tec. I just went outside and took a 3 blade muzzy and shot it at my yellow jacket broadhead target at 25 ydsand had my wife stand behind me and watch the flight. I could see also that it flew beautifully and hit the target where I was aiming. Mine is peaked at 70#'s and I shoot 29'' carbon express maxima 350's. These trykons are worth looking at and shooting. I believe that they are the quietest fast bow that I have ever shot and I have tried most. For added quietness I added my sims limbsaver camo stealths that I had taken off of my old bow. Gave it extra quietness. Took a super quiet bow and made it whisper quiet. I have also heard of guys putting an extra alpha shox on each limb. By the way my bow is the short 33'' axle to axle version as well as my wifes.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Matchbook454

NCYankee, How heavy are your arrows and have you chrono'd yet?
389gr. and 271fps