Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Overdraw or not

Old 10-26-2002, 06:15 AM
Spike

Default Overdraw or not

I've been shooting 31 inch Easton arrows for a couple of years.
I've been told that with carbon arrows and an overdraw I can have a flatter trajectory and therefore better accuracy. Please post pros and cons of an overdraw. Does anyone shoot an overdraw with aluminum arrows??
Old 10-26-2002, 11:19 AM

Default RE: Overdraw or not

I use an overdraw on my target bow for aluminum arrows but it is a very modest 1". The reason I bought it was that it had a great arrow rest and it was in the Bargain Bin at the archery shop. I have heard that the the bow becomes less forgiving as the overdraw length increases. Someone else would know better than me on that one.

For every 1" of overdraw, you can cut your arrow length 1" for a weight savings of about 10 grains (aluminum). Going to carbons you could keep your length at 31" and save 50 grains or more. Going to carbons alone would allow your bow to shoot the same trajectory at 30 yards that you now shoot at 25 yards. Not bad eh?

You should probably look at carbons as a first step since you need to buy new arrows in either case (because length affects arrow spine). The carbons are much more durable as well. I use carbons on my 37# recurve and they really zip! I was shocked at the trajectory I was getting with such a light bow.

Good Luck
Old 10-26-2002, 10:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

When you add an overdraw your bow becomes harder to shoot accurately. This is going to be an extreme example but you will get the idea. Immagine that you have a 2 foot overdraw. When you torque the bow one way or the other you don't see much movement at the grip area but at the end of the overdraw you will see a very noticeable movement left or right. When you shoot the arrow your rest will move more at the shot the longer the overdraw is therefore your arrow moves left or right.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hook, the truth is that not many people shoot overdraws anymore. The advent of superlite alum. and carbon arrows kinda negated the reason for an overdraw. And not only is the bow more accurate without the overdraw, but shooting a full length arrow is more accurate too. The longer arrow is more stable in flight. Also most rests will mount on the bow so as to give the effect of as much as 2" overdraw.

Old 10-30-2002, 07:13 AM

Since I have a 29" draw, shorter if I move to a string loop, I look at overdraws as free speed. The overdraw allows me to shoot a shorter but stiffer and therefore lighter arrow. Last year I was shooting 25.5" 2213 xx75 aluminum arrows(!!) and touching every shaft at 20 yards. This year I moved to a different rest (my old one broke) and 27" carbon arrows. Not sure exactly where I'm at speed wise but suffice to say, they zip along pretty good.

If I was lucky enough to be born with a long 31" draw and could easily pull 75#, I could shoot an arrow well over 300 FPS like some of these other folks but alas, I'm cursed with having a shorter draw, and currently a 65# weight limit. I'm lucky to see around 250fps. Any advantage I can find to add a little speed ***so long as accuracy doesn't fall apart*** to my setup is a welcome addition on my bow.

-Mike

Old 10-30-2002, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

MJL927, 29" draw is not short by any means. It's about average. And 65# bow? I think with the right bow and arrow set-up you shouldn't have any problem getting something from 270 to 285fps. It's a matter og grains/pound. That may mean shooting feathers, lighter points, etc. Get close to 5gr/lb and see what happens. And using the right carbon arrows you don't need any overdraw to get it.
I have a 27 1/2" draw and actually have trouble staying above 5gr/lb. Well, not trouble as much as I can get well under with no sweat. I can shoot 27" carbons (ICS or ACC) at 60lbs and have hunting arrows that weigh only 315gr. They give me a speed of 260fps in a full hunting set-up. Take off all the junk on the string for 3D and it goes up another 10fps. Just some ideas to ponder. Another thing to ponder is that for normal hunting ranges speed is really a non-issue.