Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

2006 Bowtech Old Glory

Old 02-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default 2006 Bowtech Old Glory

It has been quite some time since I put together a bow “report” for the net. A true lack of time on my part is the primary reason for this though I must admit to not feeling as motivated to do so for a variety of other reasons. One of these reasons is the very nature of the forums themselves. As time has passed archers/bowhunters have become more and more knowledgable about the equipment they use and how to use it. Basic terminology and the fundamentals of shooting are almost second nature to most of the well-educated folks that visit these forums. Going over the specifics of any given bow then becomes less than exciting to some people, or an issue debated upon to the point where little knowledge is actually gained. I have not wanted to enter that field of discussion until this point. Now I have found a bow that has garnered my attention and made me “fall in love” with shooting all over again….the 2006 Bowtech Old Glory.

Some of you that know me well enough know that I had a 2005 model of the same bow. Though it was an excellent bow in terms of overall construction and design it never really seemed to “click” for me. The draw cycle with its early rise to peak and gradual slope into a moderate valley was so different from what I was accustomed to shooting with my previous single cam bows. It felt more dual cam in nature and I just wasn’t able to get the same feel and subsequent accuracy out of it.

Speaking of which, my Pro 40 Freedom cam was a pure dream to shoot. The draw cycle was smooth as butter and the valley and backwall were very comfortable to shoot from. Arrows almost seemed to find the center of the target on their own. Overall specifications between these two bows were very similar. It was the cam design that separated them. This left me with a dilemna. The Binary cam system was widely regarded as the latest and most advanced cam system on the market in terms of overall design, efficiency and tuning but I was not comfortable with it….

…which brings us back to the 2006 Old Glory. You may ask why I chose to use the same bow despite my misgivings. Well, I have a lot of faith in a company that takes actual consumer suggestions to heart when they design the following year’s lineup. For several years now Bowtech has taken the initiative in creating threads on forums such as this in the hopes of improving their lineup for the subsequent year. One suggestion I know that has been repeated is that folks would like the option of having different cams with different draw cycles on their bows. From a cost perspective I can see why companies do not want to follow this route. However, the research and design team at Bowtech came up with an excellent solution to the issue, different modules for different draw cycles. Having a “smooth” module and a “fast” module makes so much sense that I am truly surprised that it was not utilized before.

In addition, due to my physical size and subsequent long draw length my options for bows are relatively limited. When was the last time you saw a flagship bow from any of the major bow companies offered in a 31-inch draw length? Bowtech has been fairly good in this regard in that at least a few bows in their lineup each year are offered with a draw length that exceeds the 30-inch norm. The 2006 Old Glory is one of them. Well, enough about my reasons for choosing this bow I think it is time we actually discussed the bow itself and my experiences with it thus far.

Technical Specifications:

Axle to Axle Length: 36.75 inches

Brace Height: 7 7/8ths inches

Mass weight: 4.3 pounds

IBO Speed (birth certificate): 323 fps (60 pound draw weight, 300 grain arrow)

Draw weights: 50-70 pounds (peak)

Draw Lengths: 28-32 inches

Camo patterns: Mossy Oak Obsession (standard), Realtree Hardwoods HD, Realtree Hardwoods HD Green, Advantage Max 4

Riser: The Old Glory’s riser is 25.75 inches in length and is manufactured of T-6061 Aluminum. The riser is of the reflex design and carries a reflex measurement of 2.75 inches. It is extruded for strength and then machined for accuracy. There are two stainless steel mounting holes to attach both a forward and a rear stabilizer.

Limbs: The limbs that adorn the ’06 Old Glory are 14.5 inches in length and are a compression molded carbon/glass combination. They are set at a 25 degree angle which though much less parallel than that of the Allegiance (44 degrees) and Tribute (53 degrees) still qualifies them as a parallel limb design.

Comparison of newer limb pockets and older style found on Pro 40 Freedom cam bow.

Limb Pockets: The limb pockets have also been redesigned for the ’06 production year. They now utilize an offset design for greater stability and easier tuning. In addition there is now a larger bezel for increased limb strength and stability as well as two lock-down screws on the side of the limb pocket itself.

Grip: A one piece wood grip with the word “Bowtech” engraved on one side adorns the bow. It sports a very smooth finish and though relatively neutral still tends to promote more of a low wrist grip position.

Cam Design: The 2006 Old Glory utilizes a redesigned Binary Cam system. This cam system takes cam design to the next level by eliminating the “Y” yoke attachment to the axles. Instead, the cables return to the opposing cam. It might be useful to consider this an entirely new cam design as opposed to that of a single, dual or hybrid. The 2006 model Binary Cam system is offered with both “speed modules” and “smooth modules” to more precisely fit your choice of archery activity. The cams also utilize sealed ball bearings and limb tip caps which help eliminate the need for nylon spacers. Several small “dots” are machined into the cam to act as a quick reference aid for monitoring the cams’ optimum performance settings. Letoff is adjustable via a small draw stop peg located on the outside edge of the top cam. The draw stop peg must be adjusted accordingly when a new draw length module is installed in the cam.

Strings and Cables: Each Bowtech bow is equipped with low creep BCY 452X strings and cables. Strings and cables are manufactured entirely “in-house” now. My Old Glory’s strings and cables were black and gray in color.

Cable Guard: The 2006 Bowtech Old Glory is outfitted with a carbon cable guard rod located above the rest mounting holes. This year’s cable guard is also film-dipped to match the camo of the bow.

Hush Kit: Every Bowtech model bow comes equipped with a factory installed Hush Kit that includes four “squidee” string silencers, a cable guard dampener and two Vibrablock limb dampeners.

Camo/Film Dip: The Old Glory comes standard with the Mossy Oak Obsession Camo pattern but can be special ordered in several additional patterns. I chose the Advantage Max 4 and though it is considered a “waterfowl hunters” pattern I must say that it looks exceptional in just about any environment. The dip is flawless on this bow.

Overall Impressions:

Overall I am very impressed with the bow. The first thing that struck me when I picked it up was the bow’s balance. I have owned several previous offerings from Bowtech that did not have the well-balanced feel that this bow does. Without any accessories installed the bow is very well balanced with only a slight “top heavy” feel to it. This may be attributed to the “arrow centered” design. Some companies design their bows with the grip in the true vertical center of the bow while others prefer to have the “arrow pass” occupy that position. The Old Glory’s exceptional balance may also be attributed to the exceptional job that was done in machining the riser. The bow has an extremely solid feel without feeling bulky or unwieldy.

3D shooting/ in the field accuracy:

I took the bow out to its first 3D shoot a little over a week ago and it performed quite well. Mike (DOPVFT) and I shoot for fun but shoot quite regularly in the off-season. The typical 10, 8, 5 scoring system (30 target) is used and we shoot at the green “hunter’s” stakes. I was on track for a 270-275 performance if it wasn’t for the “back 10” but that was due more to my fatigue from lack of regular shooting rather than any characteristic the bow might possess. The bow’s relatively “long” axle to axle length coupled with its generous 8 inch brace height made it very comfortable and accurate to shoot in my hands. The cam system, though somewhat aggressive, was still quite manageable even with the “speed modules” installed. The accuracy potential of this bow is definitely above average in my opinion.

Noise Level:

I have only been shooting my 380 grain Easton Excel 400 arrows out of the bow so far as part of my 3D setup. With the bow set at its peak weight, the 31-inch draw length and the Excel arrows there is a very low level of noise during the shot. I do not have access to any type of decibel meter but would offer that the bow is definitely quieter than average based on my own senses and that of others that have commented on it.

Movie file

Short video clip of the bow being shot.(I am looking for a place to store it online. Work in progress)

Speed:

I took time last weekend to put the bow’s speed rating to the test. I set up both of my chronographs, an older model Chronotech model and my newer ProChrono. I chose to shoot my two primary arrows, a 380 grain Easton Excel 400 and a 440 grain Easton Excel 340. Though the difference in weight is not monumental I thought it would at least give me some idea as to how efficient the bow was. The bow’s birth certificate listed a 323 fps speed rating at the peak 61 pound draw weight with a 31 inch draw length and a 300 grain arrow. I do not have access to any 300 grain arrows that are properly spined for my setup so I could not do a true comparison of the bow’s birth certificate speed rating.

I shot 3 groups of 3 arrows through each of the chronographs and then averaged the results. The 440 grain arrow averaged 267 feet per second while the 380 grain arrow averaged 284 feet per second. That yields approximately 68 ft. lbs and 69 ft. lbs of Kinetic Energy respectively. Those are some pretty impressive numbers when you consider we are only talking about a 60-pound bow and a fully loaded string. It would most often take a 70-pound model of some of the previous designs to achieve that same level of energy.

I did not have the opportunity to do a speed test on the smooth modules but will update that information as time permits.

Recoil/Vibration:

Bare bow with nothing installed except for the rest and the factory installed hush kit the bow exhibited no recoil or “jump” during the shot. This could be attributed to the parallel limb design as the limbs tend to flex up and down rather than forward and backwards. Many bows on the market these days offer this design advantage. However, there was a small amount of vibration felt in the grip during the shot. It was not excessive but noticeable nonetheless. Attaching a Sims Modular Stabilizer completely eliminated the vibration.

Nitpicks and Suggestions:

Surprisingly, and for a change, I have very little negative to say about the bow. Balance has always been one of my “nitpicks” when it comes to parallel limb style bows. The 2006 Old Glory seems to have remedied that to a large extent. There still is somewhat of a higher weight distribution to the upper half of the bow but it is, by no means, excessive and might actually be beneficial depending on which accessories you choose to install. However, I would still like to see a completely neutral level of balance which would mean either shortening the upper half of the riser or redistributing the weight via the specific level of machining.

In addition, probably the only arguable downfall of the long riser/parallel limb design is the amount of reflex found in many of these bows. In order to achieve the high level of speed and still maintain a healthy amount of brace height the riser design must be moderate to heavily reflexed in nature. Though the argument continues as to whether or not this is detrimental to accuracy each individual has to, in my opinion, consider their own shooting form when weighing this issue. It would be interesting to see if a parallel limb bow could be designed with less reflex in the riser and yet no loss in speed or reduction in brace height. At the very least it would be something to consider for those hardcore target enthusiasts who demand the most inherently accurate design possible.

Bowtech has also been continually refining the grip that they offer on their bows. They have even gone so far as to offer a “Shrewd” grip for the Target model bows. I appreciate the neutrality of their stock grip. It does tend to promote a low wrist position which is popular among many shooters. However, I would still like to see a more contoured grip available as an option. I prefer a more defined thumb rest and actually enjoyed shooting with a high wrist position for several years. Though there might be some issues with small changes in draw length I still believe it would be a worthwhile issue to pursue.

Lastly, for those target and 3D shooters out there I would also like to see a “high mount” stabilizer tapped hole located on the string side of the riser and above the cable guard rod. Additional devices could be added there for better weight distribution or just additional noise and vibration suppression. I tried something similar to this with the Pro 40 Freedom and some NV Dampeners a couple years back and it definitely aided in balancing a fully set-up bow.

Conclusion:

Considering the market today for ultra-short and short length bows the Old Glory might not be high on many potential bow buyer’s lists and yet it should be. The bow is right on the borderline of what I would call mid-sized with a very compact feel to it. Its excellent overall balance coupled with the parallel limb/long riser combination and cutting edge cam design make it a superb all around bow for hunting, 3D shooting or even indoor target archery. Throw in the excellent warranty and customer service that Bowtech is known for and you have a real winner in every regard.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:30 AM

Default RE: 2006 Bowtech Old Glory

Great review, thanks for taking the time to write all the details out!!! There are a few things I read that were very interesting. First off, my strings are a different color (green and brown). Your speed of 267 fps for that 440 grain arrow is amazing from a 60 pound bow. My 70 pound bow with speed cams is getting 284 fps from a 443 grain arrow. The other difference I noticed is that my brace height is 8.25 with ATA being 36.5 inches. I sure if I adjusted to get the brace height to 7 7/8 I could pick up more speed. Problem is this sucker is shooting so good I don’t want to touch it. Would you adjust my brace height to 8 inches if it was your bow?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:57 AM

Very good review Frank.

I am very pleased with my 06 Old Glory. The bow is very stable and even though it is a little longer than most flagship bows it honestly doesn't feel any different than my Allegiance or my Liberty did. I had originally planned on using my OG pretty much just for 3-D, paper, and screen shoots but I quickly found myself wanting it for hunting as well so it replaced my Allegiance.

The grip is very nice on the OG, but after shooting my buddies Hoyt TurboTec I think that I would prefer something like the Hoyt Pro-Fit grip. It is by far the most comfortable grip that I have put my hands on yet. I can't really complain about the BowTech grips but I wouldn't complain if it was more like the Hoyt Pro-Fit grip.

I am anxiously awaiting Spring Gobbler season to open as I plan on blind hunting with my OG.

P.S. My Old Glory set at 70# draw weight (fastmod) and 29" draw length with a Fletcher Tru Peep and single brass nock on the string is shooting 27.5" Gold Tip Pro Hunter Advantage55/75's with Burt Coyote Lumenocks and 4" VaneTec vanesand100grain field tips (total weight around 398 grains) and somehow this baby chrono'd at 297-299 f.p.s. which means that itis shooting faster than whatit should be.From my calculations, it is shooting nearly 15 f.p.s. than what it should be.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mildot,

Thank you for the kind words. To answer your question, no, I probably wouldn't. With longer draw lengths like ours I have found it preferrable to have as large a brace height as possible. It significantly adds to forgiveness. I would also add that I have faith in the folks that designed the bow. If yours came at that specific brace height then I would assume that it did for a reason.

Jason,

I would tend to agree with your observations. The bow tends to grow on you even if you initially prefer much shorter axle to axle length models in general. I think the bow's balance is at the heart of that issue.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:26 AM

Awewome review PA. On the balance topic, I just bought a used Liberty and find that it's a little more top heavy than I like especially when you put any kind of weight in the front stab hole. With no stab its balances pretty good but with just a tad of weight in the back hole it feels perfect. I just need to find the right combo of weight to balance it out nicely.

I too wish these long riser bows had a more neutral balance.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Exactly what I was trying to relate.

As for the stabilizer combination comment, I agree totally. That is one of the reason why I enjoy playing with the various Sims combinations on the bow. Between the modular, E2000, regular enhancer and Scoil I usually find at least one combination that works well.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice review, as always, Frank.

Sounds like you found a great bow there. With the smooth mods, is the "hump" right before letoff gone? Do the smooth mods build slower to peak? Is there much valley, or just letoff down to a stop, and if you stop pulling it pulls you back? Just wondering what changes they made.

Still don't know why you don't just hunt with the OG. Sounds perfect for a long armed guy like yourself. Heck, if you can hide up in the tree, surely the bow's length won't be noticed by the deer.[8D]

Sounds like you will be a force to be reckoned with this year.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate the comments. I will fire you a PM with the answer to those questions on the smooth mods. I have not even attempted to try them yet. The speed mods have been extremely manageable especially at the 60 pound draw weight.

I may very well just hunt with the Old Glory this year. The bow's balance makes me forget the overall length. However, I did just get a Diamond Justice that is beggin' to hit the woods...maybe for spring turkey.

Just as something new to spice up the review I took some video of the bow being shot last night. I will try to work on it and put a link to it in the review. No form critiques please.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Frank.

Another very good in depth report.

No form critiques please.
Yeah right you think thats gonna work

Old 02-17-2006, 10:31 AM

My Old Glory is on order.....cant wait for it.

Let's see the video

Quick Reply: 2006 Bowtech Old Glory

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.