Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Arrow Questions

Old 02-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Spike

Default Arrow Questions

Hi Folks,

I'm just getting back into Archery after a 15 year layoff. BOY has the Technololgy changed.

My question is: Does the straightness tolerance difference between different models of arrows really make that much of a difference? For example I shoot a brand of arrow that has three different straightness of tolerances in the hunting arrow line: +/- .001, +/- .003, and +/- .006.

I would appreciate any insight that any of you folks may be able to give. Right now I'm using .006 for shooting over the spring/summer while I get back in shooting shape for this coming fall, however when I buy hunting arrows for this fall I'd like to be as well informed as possible.

Thanks,
Mac
Old 02-04-2006, 10:24 AM

Default RE: Arrow Questions

Depends on how accurate you want to get or how consistant you can duplicate your form. You can take a .006 arrow and shoot great with it, but I wouldn't go mixing arrow brands, spine, weight, etc. I will always shoot a matched set of arrows right down to their straightness. When I make a bad shot I want to know it was all on me. I don't want some excuse in the back of my mind saying...that error was caused by the arrow, etc. This is my opinion because I like to refine whatever I'm working with. Keeps me busy and when I make a mistake I know it right away. It's your choice and your level of peace of mind.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:40 AM

It doesn't matter whether most manufacturers say .001 or .006 or whatever; if you don't check each and every arrow for straightness first and spine second, it's a crap shoot.

Sounds rather defeatist, doesn't it? But that's the truth about many of today's carbon arrow manufacturers. They're getting much better, but many of them loose the 'recipe' from time to time, or they 'dump' some of the garbage into each and every shipment so as not to sustain economical losses.

The other problem is that most customersdon't have the knowledge or tools to 'select' the best arrows out of a batch. We educate our customers all the time on this subject.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Spike

Len and Mildot, this is great stuff! Might you be able to give me some directions on how to spot these imperfections and test each arrow to ensure as much consistency as possible?

I plan on sticking with the same brand of arrow this fall as I am shooting now so at least I'll have that consistency going for me.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully it won't be long before I'm up with new technology and understand the subtle things for which to look.

Old 02-04-2006, 07:30 PM

I've expounded a lot on Hunting.net over the years. Try doing a search of either 'arrows' or my name and you should have a lot of reading ahead of you.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:11 PM

I didn't think it made much difference either, until I bought really good arrows. I was shooting the Easton Carbon Excel, and really liked them. I had good success with them, but once in a while I would get a "flyer" and say to myself, "What the heck did I do wrong there?" When I am practicing, I am quite cognisent of my form and release. Sometimes when I get a flyer, I know what I did. Punched the release, flinched or whatever. But sometimes, I just scratch my head and say...What the heck was that?
Well, I recently bought a set of Easton A/C/C's and I can certainly tell a difference. They fly much truer, and I don't get the mysterical flyer like I did before. I still make mistakes, and get the flyers, but that's my fault. My groups tightened up and I shoot better than before.
Now, some people may say that I justified spending that much money on something by telling myself that they shoot better, and to them, I say PHOOEY! The morel of this story? Shoot the best arrows you can afford. I am not sure how much difference there is in say .001 and .003 or even .006, but if they aren't as "picky" on straightness, how "picky" are they (arrow manufacturers) on spine consistency. Spine consistency is where it's all at if you ask me. Shoot, a grain or two difference in weight, I for one, will NEVER notice. And I prolly won't notice a difference in .001 vs. .003. But I do know this, I bought good arrows and immediately shot better.
Just get the best you can afford.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:53 PM

There are three parts to setting up an archery 'system'. I refer to it as the "Tuning Trilogy" and it is a subject that I have taught repeatedly at the ATA Show Seminars.

"Tuning Trilogy" = Tune the bow, tune the arrow, tune the archer.

Any one of these three that is neglected can, and often will, ruin the 'system'. In the case of the arrow, the straightness is the most important, the spine is second and the weight/inch//FOC is third.

I recently had a long discussion with a spine tester manufacturer about the spine verse straightness issue. At first, because of his involvement with spine testers, he was firmabout spine being the most important.

When I expressedone concern about crooked arrows causing arrows on thelight side of the spine to buckle, he understood and agreed with me. Keep in mind that if I didn't think spine was also important, I wouldn't have invested a lot of money in my spinetester. Consistent weight is a concern moreso in long-range shooting, but not as much in average hunting distances of 20-30 yards. The same can be said of FOC. For Western style hunting, where longerdistance shots come into play, weight and FOCneed much more attention; but, straightness and spine still hold the major roles.

Then you get into the subject of how heavy an arrow to use. That's a whole subject in and of itself.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:39 PM

Len,

What the heck was that...I was just getting into your post and then it was over. Geez...where are the details. I spend hours on this web sight trying to increase my knowledge. I get to a great post and BAM! it's over.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:53 PM

He can't tell all of his secrets. . .attend some of his seminars I suppose.

I was thinking the same thing myself though.

So how much for the internet answer Len, $50. . . $100?!?!
Old 02-05-2006, 10:22 PM

Len,

I don't know if you would want my pain in the A$$ as a customer, but I'm sure thinking of making you my arrow supplier even though we live on opposite sides of the U.S. The more you talk about arrows the more I would trust what you supply. My local dealer fills most of my needs, but when it comes to arrows, he gets pissed when I start asking to hand pick, or if i ask him what bundles are the best. Wish my dealer had tools to test all arrows before a purchase.

When I was big into racing, my local dealer used to hand pick the best tires that all came from the same batch/date/mold etc...and I would get to pick from the best. All the other mix and match tires were sold to the general public over the counter. Things have change when your not in the loop, I kind offeel like I'm on the short end of the stick with my current arrow supplier, since I'm not on his side of the counter if you know what I mean. Two separate boxes in back full of arrows. One box for the general public and one box for all his team shooters andclose friends.Sound familiar?

Quick Reply: Arrow Questions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.