Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

ASAT 3-D Suit

Old 01-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default ASAT 3-D Suit

So after all the good press on this bulletin board I decided to shell out the money and purchase a ASAT Vanish-Pro 3-D suit... Here is my initial review...

Product: Complete ASAT Vanish-Pro 3-D System (Pants, Jacket, Head cover)

Price Paid: $124.95 + Shipping from www.above-timberline.com

Positives:
First reaction was WOW... What a lightweight suit. It basically feels like you are wearing nothing! I ordered the large, I am 5'10"/150 pounds and could have probably gotten away with a medium, but the large will fit well over any clothes I decide to wear, even my heavy winter garb. It will however be tight enough to wear with just my camo pants and a long sleeve shirt.

The price is outstanding for something of this quality. I could easily see this product being priced in the $200 and that would still be worth it. All seems appear to be double stitched and the snaps appear to be well grometted. Even the mesh displays ASAT's proprietery camo which to me looks great. I like camo with less fuss, the more basic the better. The zipper on the jacket works well and the extended length is nice to go well over the pants. As described, the head cover fits well over any ball cap and tightens in the back to remain stable.

Negatives:
The suit is initially a little loud, although I have run it through the wash a couple of times and it is getting better, I will keep you updated. The one problem I have with the head cover is it doesn't provide any support to keep it up on my nose, instead nearly my whole face is exposed. I think I can counteract this by sewing in my own elastic, no big deal, but I think ASAT should have thought this out a little.

I understand the mentality of a "one size fits all" approach, but the pants are excessively too long. Again this is not a big problem as I can install my own elastic at the bottom and roll them up.

Still to be resolved:
Will I see more animals? Have to wait till turkey season unless I get out and decide to go varminting.
Will I be able to comfortably walk with the suit on? I am a little concerned, but will forego a comment until I get to try it out.

I would give it 4 out of 5... But for that price you will not find a better product and with a couple of adjustments I think I will be very happy.

Hope that helps some of you!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Spike

Default RE: ASAT 3-D Suit

Above Timberline Products better be carefull !!! They are selling it below the MAP price ASAT allows, I know I am an ASAT dealer also.

FF
Old 01-06-2006, 12:16 PM

I believe that is why they come with an elastic draw cord on the headnet to be one size fits all.Mine stays snug all day.Did yours come with the draw cord?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

The full headrest does not have any elastic. It has a rope which runs around the back and is stitched into either side, it is adjusted by tightening it in the back... However this scenario is too high to keep it tight over my nose, it works well to keep it on my head though... Also after washing twice I have noticed that the string is really becoming worn, no real big deal just an observation.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:25 PM

Very interesting as i have washed my suit about 15 times and have not noticed any problems as of yet.Maybe you got a bad one[8D]
Old 01-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good review. Your negatives will get better the more you wash it. I've had my ASAT suit for years and it's as soft as butter.....and as quiet.

AND, you utilized this forum for exactly what it was designed for, reviews...too many people are posting what ifs, questions and such designed to be in the technical forum and the bowhunting forum. I gave up trying to correct this issue. Thank you for posting a review.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:48 PM
RMA
Fork Horn

I've used one for more than 10 years. Not a better one out there. I will discuss your suggestions with the owner he's a friend of mine.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:35 AM

I ordered on last week, and based on your review, I am really excited to get hold of it. Maybe I'll come back on here and we can compare notes.