Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

zebra strings

Old 01-03-2006, 04:38 PM

Default zebra strings

I shoot a switchback and they come with zebra strings.I dont care forthem that much.Has anyone tried any others on switchback?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: zebra strings

Funny you asked this question. I bought a new switchback back in september, and I'm not that happy about the standard string that comes with the bow either!! They ended up putting a peep site and a rubber tube on it, just to help it line up when drawing back. (string rotates badly)I hate that rubber tubing, and just called the Pro-Shop and ordered a "Winners Choice" string and cable system for my bow today. I also want to go with a Fletcher Tru-Peep in the large 1/4" size for hunting, rather than that peep site with the tubing. Should be here sometime next week.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:16 PM

that's why I hate mine
Old 01-03-2006, 05:51 PM

Weird. I just put a Zebra Baracuda on my Hoyt, and really like the string. I do hear that Winners Choice are better though.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Mathews is coming out with two new strings for '06. Both are supposed to be improvements, but one string is being touted as extremely durable (will be released sometime in January I believe), and the other string is being marked as an improvement to the Zebra Barracuda that was on the '05 Switchback. Putting more emphasis on "pre-stretching", etc.

I agree that the '05 Zebra Barracuda was pretty weak. Why Mathews doesn't put a better stock string on their bows boggles the mind.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:08 AM

Funny how these string questions appear. In general Zebra strings have a reputation for creeping badly. What grabs me by the gonnads is that they are made of the same material (BCY8125) as Winner's Choice and several other aftermarket makers, which creep hardly at all. It's all in the process used to "assemble" the string and then serving them.

I have used Prostrings and WC and both are superior to any generic factory offerings; and yes, I consider Zebra generic. The orst of the two settled down and quit creeping after 20 shots. I installed my peep and neither string has any rotation whatever. Both these strings have several thousand shots on them with no movement.

Now is where I ask a question. Why would one go pay $32-$35 for a Zebra that doesn't do the job when one can purchase Stone Mountain, Prostrings, Winner Choice, Vapor Trail, or a host of others for about the same price or $10 more at most?

Remember, your bow is only going to shoot as consistently as the strings on it. If they creep the tune goes south.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

I put a Zebra string on my Oneida three years ago,it still looks good,with only a small amount of wear at the ends where it goes around the limbs and the peep sight has never moved and always lines up properly.When it wears out,Ill probably get another one.

Bill
Old 01-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one on my Switchback and I couldn't be happier with it. I've probably taken around 250-300 shots with it and I can't complain.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

my winners choice fuzzes up quite a bit. i wax the string way more than should be necesarry. no creep problems though. does anyone know if the x-coat on the winners choice is anything special? my pro shop guy didnt seem to know much about it.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:33 PM

i love zebra strings, they keep me in business.

serving has nothing to do with creep, stretch, or anything to do with any of that.

serving the right direction on all parts, and in the proper order has everything to do with peep control.

the tighter the tension on the string when you serve, the tighter you can serve without twisting the string all up, but you don't have to serve quite as tight when you have a lot of tension on the string. when you're done serving and take the string off the tension it relaxes under the serving and tries to get thicker, and that helps it stay put.

you can walk down a wall of brand new mathews bows and see some nice strings, and some that already have the serving unraveling.

the new fuse strings by hoyt, stretched to 800# blah blah blah, are having their serving coming apart. just because you can tension a string doesn't mean you know how to make one.

i'd never send out a string that had been tensioned over 200#. taking a string to half its failure point in the process of making it is, well, a very stupid marketing technique.

Quick Reply: zebra strings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.