Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Question on Summit Viper X5

Old 12-31-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question on Summit Viper X5

I've gone through and read a lot on this forum about the Viper X5 and climbing treestands for general. I've heard a lot of good about this stand and I am pondering purchasing one, but before I doI wanted to know of any problems you have had, seen, or heard about.

I've read a lot of good stuff, so I know about all that, I just want to know of any problems there are. One thing I am concerned over is the bar in the front. Will this get in the way of shooting my bow, or is it easy to overcome? How is the stand on confort? How easy is it to set up? This will be my first climber so I need it relatively idiot proof.

Also...how does this stand grip the tree? To me it looks like there is a just a cable and then the metal "spikes" on the stand itself. Does it grip ok? Have you had any problems with it?

Thanks for all your help,
Steven

**EDIT: One more question I just thought of, Does Summit offer any type of warranty with the treestands? Thanks again
Old 12-31-2005, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question on Summit Viper X5

its a great comfortable stand i dont own one but have sat in one and hunted in one.I would think the gun rest would be removeable.I was going to get one myself but decided not to and just get a gorilla lock on because i dont like carrying alot of weight.If you like ligther ones check out the Loggy Monarch (Loggy Bayou Treestands) climber extrememly light
Old 12-31-2005, 10:23 PM

I have a viper, just a reg one though. they are light and very comfortable. The only problem is bulk when packing it in to thick stuff. I love mine on those long days in teh woods.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

.308!

I have the Viper X4 and as far as thing's I don't like about it ,I have nothing I don't like about this stand .This is the very best stand I've ever used it's the most comfortable stand as well ,you just might find yourself falling asleep in it .As for the bar in the front ,it's not a problem either you can adjust your seat to yourself so as the bar doesn't get in the way if you want to sit and shoot ,but usually you'll most likely find yourself wanting to stand in it ,it also lock's on the tree well, so there's not too much concern for it coming unattached from the tree . The only real thing that can maybe be a negative about it, is carrying it into thick brush which was already mentioned ,but for all the positive's that this stand has against that one little negative ,it's by far the best stand made in my opinion.

nubo
Old 01-01-2006, 08:18 AM

I agree with nubo. There is nothing about it I don't like, except that it's hard to stay awake because it is so comfortable.
As for gripping the tree....LOL.....there is nothing better. In fact, now that I think about it, that's probly the only thing I don't like. It grips the tree so hard it is sometimes difficult to pull the stand off of the tree when descending.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great stand! nubo and mobowhuntr summed it up well. I have found that it grips extremely well and sometimes it can be hard to loosen the stand when descending. One plus that has not been mentioned is the excellent safety harness that is included with the stand. Oh by the way, I have taken several naps in mine too!!!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I picked one up during the bowseason from Cabela's. The Summit Viper X5 Goliath stand. I love it!!! Being 6'-0" tall and 255 lbs, I liked the extra 2" of width on the top section. That "front bar" is one of the main reasons for buying this stand as well. Aids in climbing, andgives an extra feeling of safety inmy book!! I always shoot standing up, and that front bar, when leaned against, is out of the way!! Very secure once on the tre, those cables work very well. I'm very impressed with this stand. Two thumbs up!!!
Old 01-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all your input guys. The big concern I had delt with how well the cable gripped the tree. But it sounds as though it works rather well......sooo.....I think I'm gonna start saving my money and look into buying one. Hopefully I can find one on sale
Old 01-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

I have the X5, and its fantastic!
Very comfortable, very sold, very quiet.
Sometimes the heel of my boot slips off of a bar that makes up the surface of the platform, and that makes a slight noise. Aside from that, my only complaint is the padding around the front bar....it doesn't stay put very well, but some camoflage duct tape will fix that.

Buy it! It's GREAT!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

They're great stands. The cable doesn't really grip the tree. The way the stand attaches to the tree is with leverage provided by your weight.The teeth on the seat and foot platform grip the tree. I guess you would say it works by leverage provided by your weight. Always be sure to use a tree with rough bark like an oak or popple.

Quick Reply: Question on Summit Viper X5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.