Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Target questions

Old 12-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Target questions

OK... I got a real cheap target for christmas which I have already chewed up... Basically a styrofoam block. Anyway, I want to replace it with a target that is better at "self-healing" I will shoot probably 95% of the time with field points and the rest with broadheads. I am not really interested in a bag target, because I will be moving it around a lot and my assumption is they are not very portable.

What about the Morrel Yellow Jacket vs. The Block... Are their any other options out there I should consider?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Target questions

I have no info about the Yellow Jacket other than I think that it is
priced cheaper than the Block. I have the Block and have been
shooting it this summer with field tips and broadheads. It seems to
be holding up fine with probably about 300 to 400 shots in it.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

I have had a couple of Black Holes and they hold up OK as long as you use field points. Stay away from it if you are going to shoot broadheads into it because they get chewed up pretty quickly.

The Block is much better for Broadheads. Can't speak to other manufacturers.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

haha guys i can actually say ive never bought a target like that.What i normally do is just get a couple chunks of styrofoam for the boat dock my grandfather works at and i just use one a year and that save me alot of money but i am thinking of actually investing in to getting a block
Old 12-29-2005, 09:52 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

Both are excellent targets. The Morrell is a little cheaper, but the Block is a tad better with the broadheads.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

from listening to other people and shooting into both of them at friends houses i think the smart investment would be the block
Old 12-30-2005, 07:38 PM

block is only really good for field points it will hold up very long... The block 4 x4 i can't speak on. but if you want to shoot both field point and broadheads try stanleys hip shot otherwise get 2 targets one for field points and 1 for broadheads morrell is good for this they make yellow jackets for both bag for points and block style for broadheads both around 30- 40 dollars a piece... you start shooting your broadheads into the block you will find it won't last long unless it is the new 4 x 4.......
Old 01-23-2006, 01:45 AM

I just bought a 4x4 and it works great on both field points and broadheads. Forget about pulling arrows out with two fingers, though! It gets easier the more shots you've taken, but one of those rubber arrow pullers is a good idea. Also, if you shoot broadheads you should take two or three older ones and disassemble them, then (very carefully) round off the barb (rear point) of each blade on an emery wheel. This will prevent snagging when you pull the arrow out, and increase the life of the target. If you round them off just a little it shouldn't change the weight too significantly.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:07 PM

the block targets do not hold up as well as the yellow jacket. my block was toast after the first year w/ broad head use. while the morrels yellow jacket is going on its 3rd year and still in very good shape. For 40.00 you cant go wrong. They also make a 6x6 taget that you can shoot braod heads and field points. still cheaper than the block. also, the yellow jacket is for broad heads only. no field points.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have a block I have had for about 5 years, I like it!