Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New Luminoks Are Lighter

Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 AM

Default New Luminoks Are Lighter

I broke one of my Luminoks while twisting it out. You aren't supposed to twist or you break the contacts. So I went to my local BPS to pick up another one. They are built differently now. I was wondering if they weighed the same or not so I put both types on my grain scale. The average weight of the older style is 33 grains. Some of mine were 32, some 34. The new style nock weighed 23 grains. I think that is better in regards to FOC. The only thing that concerns me is now I have to either find an old style or buy all new ones to keep my arrow weights consistant. [&:] I will post a pic of the two tonight when I get home.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Luminoks Are Lighter

That is good to hear. I bought three of them just to try out, I really like them but am a bit concerned about FOC. That is good news as it will help the balance out a bit.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:11 AM

I was at Bass Pro and saw these myself and was very disappointed at their "NEW" design.They drilled out the back of the nock,just like someone mentioned on this forum before and used a thill light.I have used this design before and had 8 nocks break on release.When my "OLD" Luminocks go dead i won't be purchasing these things.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:56 AM

newman1, I would like to ask what make nocks you were using. I'm the one that posted the picture of the lighted nocks earlier and have shot them for over six years now and have not had a failure with the GoldTip nock. They already have a hole in them so you can tighten them in your arrow shaft and that may be the reason they have not failed. Anyway I'm surprised that Luminock took my idea, because I had repeated failure with the old type they made. They would not stay on after the shot. I'm just asking a question and not being negative to your reply about nock failure.

Thanks

Old 12-04-2005, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Rokonred

newman1, I would like to ask what make nocks you were using. I'm the one that posted the picture of the lighted nocks earlier and have shot them for over six years now and have not had a failure with the GoldTip nock. They already have a hole in them so you can tighten them in your arrow shaft and that may be the reason they have not failed. Anyway I'm surprised that Luminock took my idea, because I had repeated failure with the old type they made. They would not stay on after the shot. I'm just asking a question and not being negative to your reply about nock failure.

Thanks

I was using Easton nocks.Maybe i should have used the Gold Tips.I just find it hard to believe that drilling a hole in the nock does not make it weaker.I guess the Gold Tipsare a bit beefier in that area by design.I might have to try and use that nock this time.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

I are very interseted in this idea. Any details on purchasing the thill lights? I have only seen them in fishing tackle. What is the weight on them?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:46 AM

Capt Ray, I get the lightsat wal-mart and they add about ten grains to the nock. The GoldTip nocks weight is 13 grain,with light 23 grains. I had no differents in arrow flight using the 55/75 arrow shaft. I sent you an email to detail the steps.

Ron
Old 12-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

My buddy Frank tried these this past season and quite frankly we weren't impressed........
I guess they qualify as the new style but I didn't weight them.
He bought3 of them initially and we wanted to see how they worked at my house that night. The very first shot with the first one had the arrow fly wildly to the target and go off on impact. After inspecting the nock we found one entire side cracked off from the shot! 1 shot one broken nock.
The next one worked about half the time for 5 or 6 shots and would go out most of the time when hitting the target.
It was getting pretty dark at this point and Frank decided to try a 50 yard shot just to see the tracer trail.Well it flew right under the target and took one skip into the woods.....problem is that this one also went out the second it hit the ground.

He used the 3rd one on a doe in a grassy field one evening this season from the ground, lit up, great tracer trail to the deer and a complete passthrough.......of course this one went out as well and that arrow too was lost in the tall grass.

My opinion is that they are only 1/2 cool because they only worked roughly half the time for us and less than that as advertised. Like the concept but if 1/2 the time they don't light and the other 1/2 they go out I'll save my money.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:54 PM

I hope it won't be long till they go back to the old ones.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

i made some of these and didnt have any nocks break. my local walmarts didnt have the thill nite brite replacement lites but dicks sporting goods has them in new jersey. i didnt see any difference in where my arrows hit. i made one for all my buddys too. the only thing different i do is pull the light out of the nock and flip it over and stick it back in the nock when i turn the light off. if you dont make sure the hole you drill is cleaned out good and burr free they can stick inside the nock and i have ruined 2 of the lights so now i make sure the holes are cleaned out and i just flip the light when im not using the nock.