Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Best Raingear???

Old 11-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Raingear???

I was almost sold on the new Rivers West Camo... You know Guaranteed unbreakable! However, looking through my Cabela's and Bass Pro Catalogs I had a couple of there products also catch my eye. They had rain gear that they claim to be the best money can buy.. So I am in a pickle.. I am not sure what to get. I am stationed in the Western part of Washinton's Olympic Peninsula. Which gets more rain than anywhere else in the contenatal U.S. 150" plus a year... WOW that's a lot. So you can see my concern with wanting to be a Happy Hunter...Or dry for that matter.
Any help will be appreciated!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:23 PM

Default RE: Best Raingear???

I think it's a tough choice. Cabelas has some good gear. My closet proves it. In my opinion choose a GoreTex brand. Not the Dry Plus or Ulrta Dry...whatever they call it. GoreTex is guarenteed. Dont get me wrong......I've been soaked to the bone in 500$ Gortex. Keep it clean and hole free and it should give you alot of hunting seasons.....especially where we live!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

i've used GoreTex in the military, a guide gear suit from Dick's sporting goods and that cheep pvc rain suit from wallmart. the pvc will rip easily.......but it will pack nice and is light so if your in the stand and get caught in the rain it's nice to have and is vented so u don't sweat to bad. the GoreTex is great ........but i'd say its just as good as the Dick's rain gear. pricker bushes and thorns will ruin any rain gear. those little perferations just start the leaching process. i coated my raingear with scotchgaurd and it works great right now. half to do it to the GoreTex this weekend to revive that. Bottom line I like GoreTex and it works but is twice the price as other stuff and doesn't seem to stand up to the pricker bushes any better than the competition. just my 2 cents. good luck shopping and hunting bro.

THE FOOT
Old 11-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies.. Have you guys seen the Rivers West Camo? It actually streches. And they Guarantee it to be unbreakable.... I was hoping someone has the stuff and could reassure me that it is worth the money..
Old 11-09-2005, 02:34 PM

Rocky Prohunter Raingear. Light,packable,waterproof(ofcoarse),wind proof and tough as sh$!. No one can compete with the quality for less than $220 head to toe.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:59 PM

I haven't seen it or even heard of it til now....Give it a look..I did
http://www.riverswest.com

Before I would buy I would defineitely want to touch and feel...know what I mean?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

They have a display of Rivers West at the local sporting goods store. Looks and feels great!!! However,Still skeptical about the price though.. Spendy! Basically I was hoping that somebody else has tried it out first...
Old 11-09-2005, 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

Spendy! Basically I was hoping that somebody else has tried it out first...
I might be off to Alaska this next spring. If so I'll need some raingear. I'll try this stuff....why not? If it works on the Aleutian chain then it'll work anywhere. My Grundens are worth their weight in gold but of course you cant hunt in them. There's testimonials on the website, although they're probably sponsored, its a start as to who has some feedback.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:14 PM

Been using Rivers West for 2 years in some constant wind and rain conditions. Never leaked or got damp. Really tough stuff and quite moving in brush.