Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Newb bow hunter starting out...need some equipment

Old 10-26-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Newb bow hunter starting out...need some equipment

Well...I have a darton bow...it sucks horribly...and i do at shooting a bow too...but firearms are a whole different catagory....i know nothing about bows....could someone fill me in the best of knowledge....and i want to get a new bow...somethign decent...my mom and dad will probably contribute 200 to 250 and other people will prb add up to 100 more....and i might mayb sell a marlin and get around 200 for that....so im looking in the 200 to 500 price range...i want something decent..i don't care if its brand new or used...what are some things to look for?...brands...etc....i will be hunting whitetails in michigan if that helps...am 16...140 pounds...not weak....but not pulling back 70 pounds looking anywhere from 45 to 60....thanks...please give some help...
Old 10-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Newb bow hunter starting out...need some equipment

PSE makes a great line of entry level bows and they are very affordable and come with a 100% Unlimited Lifetime Warranty. Heres what I recomend doing. Go to your local proshop, pick up different bows from different manufacturers and shoot all of them. Find out what fits you best. You pro dealer will be able to help you with that. I would scratch out hunting this year with a bow though and focus on practicing and becoming one with your equipment. Meaning being 100% confident. Its not a gun, you have to do the work.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:45 PM

I ran into a guy who was selling his Bowtec. If you want I'll gather some more info. E-mail me if interested.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:46 PM

I forgot to mention that....i wasn't gonna hunt until the next season...i prb wont get the bow right away but within the next two months...and that gives me all spring and summer to practice with it....is the pse somethign that is rugged and tough....and going to last me?..i'd rather just buy one bow and use it and not keep buying newer and newer bows....and im a newb....but i know for guns...most mods usually only fit certain firearms....so what about bows...like sight wise, and arrow rest wise...are they all pretty interchangeable for the most part?..i mean if i get hte pse would it be good for prb as long as i hunt...since im 16 i really don't have a lot of extra money....so i was planning on getting this bow and staying with it...what models should i look at...i mean not asking which is best....but what are the cheaper models and which ones are the better models or ones people had good experience with?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:55 PM

best bow for the money is a reflex grizzly. they are way under priced for the quality you get. they shoot around the 300 fps at 70 lbs and are made by hoyt. brand new you can get one for 379.00. i picked one up to use as a back up bow to my switchback and since october 1st i have used the switchback twice and the reflex the rest of the time and have had nothing but success out of it.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:20 PM

Okay...please forgive me...for i am a newb to bow hunting, but what about limbs, cams and strings?...are they pretty much universal?...or do they only fit certain bows?....i mean if something does manage to break on one...are parts pretty easy to come by...like the pse looks pretty popular....that im not so much worried about....but i was also looking at the fredbear and the reflex models...what about these?....are they limbs and cams hard to come by or don't they generally break?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:01 PM

as far as actually breaking cams and limbs thats not really a common occurance. i replace strings every year but if you run into a limb or cam problem then yes they are easy to replace on all your popular models.