Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Ten Points Crossbow

Old 10-25-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Ten Points Crossbow

Anyone have any opinions on the Ten Points package that Cabelas is selling? Im looking to get my old man a crossbow for x-mas and want to get him a really nice one. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 10-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ten Points Crossbow

Not sure what the cabelas pkg is but 10 point make some of the best crossbows around.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Which one are you talking about? They got four of them.

The titan is their entry level cross bow.

The QX-4 is their top of the line bow as far as the bow itself goes.

The elite QX-4 is the same bow but with extras like the machined aluminum drop down foot stirup, brown anondizing, and more accessories in the package such as a hard case, carbon bolts, six broadheads, etc...

The Pro elite is the same bow but with even more accessories. Full camo, matched arrows and broadheads, and other little items.

Ten Point crossbows are, IMHO, the best cross bows made. You will do very well purchasing one for your father one. We never have a Ten Point in our shop for repairs due to a defect of malfunction of the bow itself. Stupid people is another story.

You can not dry fire a Ten Point. There is a mechanisim built into the bow that will stop the string within a half inch of travel if there is not an bolt loaded into the bow. If you do pull the trigger with out a bolt you simply recock the string.

If I were to purchase one for myself I would go with the elite QX-4. When you consider all that comes with this bow it costs nor more than a top of the line compound with top of the line accessories. Which is what this package has. The added camouflage and tuned broadheads of the Pro Elite are not on my top priority list of things to have in a crossbow and the QX-4 leaves you to buy needed accessories such as a hard case, broadheads, etc...

The QX-4 models have an extra safety on the forearm that you must depress in order to fire the bow. This is a welcomed feature as it forces a person to keep their foward hand below the string and keep the fingers safe in order to depress the safety.

The accudraw is a nice feature but I wouldn't pay for it if your father is able enough to cock it using his foot and arms. It is a pretty hard draw though.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:28 PM

bran, I want to echo BigBulls comments about Ten Point as being "THE BEST" in the industry. There isn't another crossbow company around that will criticize them or not tell you that Ten Point isn't the gold standard among crossbows. Usually the competitors are overheard or advertise like, "Ours are just like Ten Point, or ours has the same features as Ten Point". Heck then why not get a Ten Point?

I must admit that while I am a 20 year veteran too the sporting goods business and have been bowhunting for over 20 years, this is my homestates (TN) first season with crossbows being legalized for everyone during the regular archery season. Since June the shop I work for has sold in excess of 250 crossbows. We carry Horton and Ten Point. Obviously for monetary reasons the Horton has outsold the Ten Points about 5 too 1. But that is because we sold the crap out of a 150# Yukon/Red dot scope pkge Horton for under $300. In the over $500 range the market was dominated by Ten Point.

We have had a few Hortons come back in, a few for mfgr problems and the majority for stupid human error. We have had 1 Ten Point come back and it was a 82 year old man who actually attempted to dry fire the bow SEVERAL TIMES [:'(]over the course of two weeks. Finally the aluminum housing at the back of the flight rail that holds the string stop which prevents the dry firing, BROKE! He fully admitted it was his own fault but we gave him a new bow and Ten Point sent us a new replacement as well.

I have hunted with a compound (and two years with a recurvein the early 90s when I got burned out on compounds) for two decades and didn't feel I wanted a crossbow. But they have been SO much fun to shoot, setup and sell that I actually purchased one a week AFTER our bowseason actually opened here in late Sept. I bought the Ten Point Titan TL-4 red dot package. It is of course a 165# bow and it came with the Accudraw 50on it. I LOVE IT and have already killed with it. Two other gentlemen at work are older and have actually used crossbows for nearly 10 years (had doctors approval which was legal in TN) and they both use and swear by the Ten Points. I believe they both have QX4s.

I differ from Bigbulls in that I FULLY recommend at least one of the two Accudraws available from Ten Point. The 50 like mine is the manual "ropes" that reduce the effort by half (since you are using a pulley the effort is cut in half. When you consider that there is two handles you can divide the effort in half and then half of that again because of the handles. In reality you are pulling 1/4th in each hand! lol clear as mud?) and is a faster and quieter system than the "winch" type Accudraw 100. My brother and a friend both bought the Elite pkgs with the Accudraw 100 and they actually liked my 50 better after seeing it in use. BUT I recommend the Accudraw 100 for small people, elderly, weaker ladies and small teens who might not can handle the other alternatives. I have also sold several 100s to handicaps in wheelchairs. The nice thing about the 100s is you can recock the bow while seated, something to think about for the hunter!

They are a breeze to setup and shoot. We have a small 10yd test lane in our store and every single crossbow has left ready for the woods. Pins, single or multidot scopes are ready for action if they are hitting about 1.5" high at 10yds. I can't tell you how many I sold this year too folks who came in not for sure they really wanted one but after only one bolt, they HAD to have one!

I actually use the carbon bolts from Horton and use the same broadheads I have used for the last couple of years in my Hoyt (100grn fixed Rockets). The two older fellows I mentioned swear by the 100grn Revolutions from Rocky Mtn.

Good luck and don't hesitate to get your dad a crossbow. I for one am GLAD our state saw the light on them. They have really encouraged many more people to get into the woods during bowseason and hopefully that will get up the harvest numbers as they are sadly lacking in our over populated state!
RA
Old 10-26-2005, 03:00 PM

Wow, Thanks you both for the very detailed replies. The one I was looking at is the Elite QX-4 with ACUdraw. My father has MS and would be much more comfortable with this type of system, I think. From what you guys tell me, this will be an great bow and a great x-mas present. Thanks again!!
Old 10-26-2005, 04:25 PM

Have you considered Excalibur? Fast, durable, powerful, and accurate, this is a top-notch brand. Almost everybody around our place uses them.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Excelent choice there BranP. That bow is top quality all the way.

I whole heartedly agree with getting the accudraw considering your fathers condition. The accudraw makes it a breeze to cock the bow. I didn't mean to sound like the accudraw wasn't worth the money just that if you are able to do it yourself it isn't a necessary accessory. Consider I am 6'2" @ 270 pounds and 31 years old.

Good luck to you and your father.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:29 PM

lol Bigbulls you must be in better shaper than I. I am 6' 4" 240 and "only" 34 but I get winded after gruntin on a crossbow after a few shots. That fact REALLY came to my attention about 3 weeks when I was setting up some new crossbows at work. We had about 6-7 new crossbows (Hortons) that we had just put out and none of them had been sighted in so I began sighting them in. I was shooting about 15 yards and typically I have one bow on in about 3 or 4 shots. By the time I was on the 4-5 bow I was actually getting hot. I had to take a break and finally said screw it, lol I let another fellow finish it. I guess I'm just gettin lazy, but I HATE cocking a manual bow over and over. That's partially why I recommend a cocker like the Accudraw. I think someone will practice and enjoy shooting it MUCH more with such a device vs manually cocking it each time. I would hate to shoot a dozen times in the backyard with a manual bow.

Besides that, I wouldn't want to have to set my beer down that often in the first place!
RA

ps
Excellent choice Bran, I'm sure your father is as special too you as mine is too me. GO ALL OUT FOR POPS!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 02:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have one withe the cranking system shoots awesome,But maintenance should not be ignored.Keep the rails well lubed,string waxes and watch the stickers.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:09 PM

My old man has a Qx4...."Cat Sass" Don't see how you can miss with one.

Quick Reply: Ten Points Crossbow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.