Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Improving the Lone Wolf Hand Climber part 1: the seat

Old 10-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Spike

Default Improving the Lone Wolf Hand Climber part 1: the seat

Saturday was opening day of Archery season here in PA (as many of you know). It was a beautiful day, but the spot I chose for my morning hunt had no deer, so I had several hours to contemplate improvements to my hunting rig including my new Lone Wolf Hand Climber.

The Lone Wolf is very light and wonderfully compact: I could carry it several miles without a problem, and that is using the provided unpadded backpack straps (although I plan to add the padded straps eventually).

However, there are several things that could stand improvement starting with the seat. There is no reason that a simple seat bottom type of seat cannot be comfortable: almost all hang-on stands have this type of seat. However, the Lone Wolf seat pad had two problems: it is too thin and it does not extend over the edge of the seat frame. The second problem is more serious than the first: if you set the seat high relative to the platform to make it easier to stand, then the front of the seat frame cuts off the circulation in your legs.

During my lunch break I stopped at the local hunting store and Walmart to purchase a 1" closed cell seat pad and some camo duct tape. I removed the Lone Wolf pad, cut approximately 1 1/2" off the back of the replacement pad, and used the duct tape to hold the replacement pad on the frame. It extends approximately 1" over the front of the seat frame for a much more comfortable seat that does not interfere with packing the seat and platform together.

Since the duct tape was sticking slightly to my pants when I stood up, this morning I removed the tape and used two velcro straps to hold the seat pad in place. The result is very satisfactory.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:18 PM

Default RE: Improving the Lone Wolf Hand Climber part 1: the seat

Keep up the good work! I have the same climber. I will improve seat as suggested. I really like this climber. Requires a lot more dexterity though. I would like to see some sort of pull up climber affair rather than hanging onto the straps. However, the portability and ease of set up is above all that I have tried.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:42 AM

I tried several foam and air cushions to improve the comfort of hand climber..finally found one..(a real lightweight, 2" thick, foam, camo covered with two buckle straps..pad) it's about the same size as the seat and I can sit on it for half a day in comfort. Got it at Basspro and just strap it down with the top part when carrying stand. This is it except that it's got a cover with straps..SEAT

Old 10-05-2005, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the tip, I ordered the Bass pro unit. I can't wait to get it!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you buy the small or the large?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:36 PM

Default To Doug's question

I ordered the small seat.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:53 PM

Hey there Rick. I'm in Pa. too and I also bought the Lone Wolf Hand Climber. This week was the first time I really got to use it and you are dead on the money about the seat. Thanks a ton for the advice. Gonna order that seat pad tonight! Good luck this season and if you have any other ideas, please post em.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Like it treestand remodeling in the field
Old 10-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Excellent suggestions Rick. I look forward to reading part two of your improvements.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have both the handclimber and sit and climb tops for my lone wolf.The hand climber combo is by far the best treestand I've ever used except of the fact that it isn't very comfortable.I have a gorilla treeseat so I took the seat pad off and used it saturday with my lone wolf.Everyone has their own opinions but I thought it was less comfortable than the lwpad that came with it.

Last year Itook the old sling seat of my sit/climb and replaced it with the new padded seat.I wasn't impressed so I put a summit seat on and it made a huge difference.

I find the handclimber to to less of a hassle to deal with and I'm fine sitting in it for about 3-4 hours.When I plan on staying out longer than that,I used the sit/climb top with the summit seat.It's tough to beat every feature of the lw but they really need to address the comfort issue.

Quick Reply: Improving the Lone Wolf Hand Climber part 1: the seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.