Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Split limbs verses solid limbs. Which are better?

Old 09-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Split limbs verses solid limbs. Which are better?

Which do you prefer on a copmpound bow?Split limbs or solid limbs?
Thanks Chuck
Old 09-19-2005, 10:34 AM

Default RE: Split limbs verses solid limbs. Which are better?

My bow has the split, I think it looks better but the real reason I got a bow with split limbs was that it was just the bow that felt the best while shooting (Buckmasters G2). I have heard that Solid are better because with split the separate limbs are often slightly different causeing the bow to not shoot as well. I really dont know if this is the case or not, I am one of many people who can shoot a split limb bow acurately, so unless you are to the point where the weakest link in your shooting is your equipment and not you I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:22 PM

If you notice, a split limb most of the time is the same width as a solid limb. I prefer solid. Splits can sometimes "twist", but i dont think its real common. Just my thinking.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer the split limb because as stated before, the bow of my choice just so happens to be asplit limb. Now a little theory on the split limb vs. the solid: Most limbs (solid) when cracking crack down the middle area of the limb by removing the middle and making a split limb you are removing the chance of a crack in that area. I hear much more about a solid limb cracking than a split limb so I would have to agree with this theory. It is not my theory but one I recieved from a split limb manufacturer but the number speak for itself on which crack more often which also can be argued because I think there are more solid limb bows out there. Enough said, hope this helps answer your question.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

Split limbs are generaly a little lighter but not by much. I shoot split because that is what Hoyt make in the Supertec. If it was a solid limb and shot well for me I would shoot it. Personal decision I think.

SF