Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Insect repellant

Old 09-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Insect repellant

Folks, Last weekend was my first bowhunt ever. I spent the day in the KY woods. My hands areactually still swollen with 10's of masquito bites on each. Is there an effective insect repellant that does not spook deer?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Insect repellant

Check this out. http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/
Old 09-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to use No-Stinkin bugs insect repellent. Then I switched to using a Thermacell and it's been great. I highly recommend them to anyone having problem with bugs while on stand.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

We run into some bug problems during bear season and I always have used bug nets, like for fishing and I have had good results. I have a friend though thta uses the Thermacell and has reported good results with it, although I have no personal experience with it. Lots of TV personalities use it though too.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I use OFF with a screw off cap instead of spray.
Chuck
Old 09-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

the only problem i see with the therm-a-cell is that it doesnst seem to last long then you have to go out and buy pad refills and fuel cartritdges. if a pad is only good for 2 hours i can see this being a pain to keep changing while on stand.i mean it sounds like the thing works but i just came back from hunting bear in a swamp all week and found getting up a little bit higher in the tree where the breeze is and wearing jeans and a shirt under leafy camo bug suit with a good headnet and cotton gloves does wonders even without spray.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to try the thermacell. Not sure i'll be able to go out and pick one up by this weekend though.
Chuck, Does the off product have a smell to it. I normally don't need any bug repellant when camping or fishing so I don't know much about them. For some reason thoough the insects in KY were killin me
Old 09-07-2005, 04:33 PM

I use the thermal cell and I run it the whole time I am in my stand.I dont even wrap upwaffers when done and one pad last me several hunts.Use it until it is completely white even a little blue works.Maybe if it is burning to hot you can call and send it back and they will fix it.I have hunted 15 times and finally used up 3 waffers and two butains.They do work well but turn it on about 5 minutes before you get out truck(with it outside)oh they will eat you alive waiting for it to start working.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

To be honest with ya.In Florida we have no choice. We have to use the bug spray. I don't like to make noise so I get a pump bottle and just unscrew the top.I used it last year and called a buck to me. I believe if you get up high enough there aint to much to worry about.
CHuck
Old 09-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Since buying a thermcell I will never use bug spray again when hunting. Best bug repellant I have ever used.

It keeps the bugs far away from you so that you don't even get the annoying buzz in your ear.

Quick Reply: Insect repellant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.