Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

the camo arrow

Old 09-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: the camo arrow

BG, I just fletched up some X7's for a customer. Wraped them in a Flo. yellow wrap and put on black blazers with a flo. yellow Easton nock.

I have to say they looked sweet.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:34 AM

The problem is X7's aren't made in HUNTING weights / sizes like 2117, etc. They are really target shafts...
Old 09-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scoobie, not everybody shoots heavy Lincoln logs these days. You're wrong about the arrow weight of X7's. I have some 2112's, 2212's, and 2312's (thin walls) that weigh a lot more than the carbons that I or many others hunt with. Or they can be made just about as light as my 3D carbons, depending on the components used on them.And I have found the thin walls just about as durable as the heavier ones. I just don't go around shooting trees and rocks. I don't shoot aluminum much anymore but can say that I hadn't shot anything with more than a .013 wall since the late 70's. Some people think that they need tons of weight to produce KE for hunting. Well, for bigger animals such as elk or moose you may need a bit more, but for deer sized game KE just is not much of an issue if you put the arrow where it belongs. It's mostly a testosterone thing.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:29 PM

On the subject of everything being camo, why haven't treestand companies offered an option to paint the metal parts of the stand in any of the popular camo patterns. I'm sure there are tons of people that would pay for a totally camo treestand to go with their camo arrows, camo sunglasses, camo underwear, etc.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:04 PM

My guess is that the guy who paid extra money for camo arrows is probably the guy who is chewing on camo gum and holding a cough silencer.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Scoobie, not everybody shoots heavy Lincoln logs these days. You're wrong about the arrow weight of X7's. I have some 2112's, 2212's, and 2312's (thin walls) that weigh a lot more than the carbons that I or many others hunt with. Or they can be made just about as light as my 3D carbons, depending on the components used on them.And I have found the thin walls just about as durable as the heavier ones. I just don't go around shooting trees and rocks. I don't shoot aluminum much anymore but can say that I hadn't shot anything with more than a .013 wall since the late 70's. Some people think that they need tons of weight to produce KE for hunting. Well, for bigger animals such as elk or moose you may need a bit more, but for deer sized game KE just is not much of an issue if you put the arrow where it belongs. It's mostly a testosterone thing.
I come from the G. Fred Asbell school and I hunt heavier shafts. IMO guys are shooting arrows too light today and thats why they need bows with Limb Savers and all these 'anti vibration' devices. Arrows that are too light don't absorb enough of the bows limb energy and hence creates much stress (and noise) on bows. I have always shoot arrows like 2016, 2117, etc. and never had any problems with funky arrow flight, bow noise, vibration, etc.

All that energy that doesn't get into the arrow has to go somewhere - and it does - right back into the bow creating noise, shock, vibration, and extra stress on limbs and bow parts.

Just my $ .02.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scoobie, I agree with what you are saying. There is no denying the laws of physics. But just for comparison I ask you why don't you just use a solid carbon or glass fishing arrow, as this would be much heavier and absorb more of the bows stored energy? Of course, the answer is obvious---and totally rediculous. So even you have to reach a balance point along the way. Don't know you but you sound like you've been around for a while. So have I, shooting compounds over 31 years now. But keeping an open mind and trying new stuff is where the fun of this sport is. Afterall, there are 12 months in a year, and only a couple of them are hunting season. It's all those other months that are the most fun to me. That's when I get to try a lot of new things, and how they work.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:56 AM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Scoobie, I agree with what you are saying. There is no denying the laws of physics. But just for comparison I ask you why don't you just use a solid carbon or glass fishing arrow, as this would be much heavier and absorb more of the bows stored energy? Of course, the answer is obvious---and totally ridiculous. So even you have to reach a balance point along the way. Don't know you but you sound like you've been around for a while. So have I, shooting compounds over 31 years now. But keeping an open mind and trying new stuff is where the fun of this sport is. After all, there are 12 months in a year, and only a couple of them are hunting season. It's all those other months that are the most fun to me. That's when I get to try a lot of new things, and how they work.
Hi, I have been in the sport for 26+ yrs. Shot everything around pretty much.

I like carbon arrows a lot actually - but hate these pencil-thin arrows as I feel they look like 'darts', are too hard to pull out of targets, create all kinds of issues with rests and vane clearance with shoot thru rests, and, carbons are VERY expensive. I like that they don't bend. If I was to shoot them I'd shoot something like the new Gold Tip fat-diameter shafts. I like something in the range of like a 20XX or 21XX shaft diameter.

Now - who makes carbon shafts in those kinds of diameters other than Gold Tip? Anyone? Anyone making them for less than like $75/dozen?

Old 09-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scoobiedoobiedoo.....you are soooooright! ITS ALL MARKETING!!! IS THERE A CAMO BOWSTRING OUT THERE???
Old 09-11-2005, 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

Scoobiedoobiedoo.....you are soooooright! ITS ALL MARKETING!!! IS THERE A CAMO BOWSTRING OUT THERE???
I mean - Just WHAT did we do in the days when we didn't have camo? Sheesh! The Ole Timers would be mortified to hear of camo instead of Buffalo Plaid? Come to think of it - the Indian's never had camo and didn't become extinct because of it!

Quick Reply: the camo arrow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.