Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

i need help getting a bow, suggestions plz.

Old 08-28-2005, 02:18 PM

Default i need help getting a bow, suggestions plz.

hey everybody, im going to be taking up bowhunting this year, im a rifle hunter but i have always been good with a bow. i do not have a suitable bow to use for deer and the minimum draw weight here in florida is 35 pounds, im looking to get a new bow and begin practicing. Im 15, almost 16 years old and i need some suggestions on what kind of bow to get.

- thanks in advance! hotgunner 21
Old 08-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i need help getting a bow, suggestions plz.

There are so many bows available these days it's really hard to recommend one in particular. The best advice is to visit some local archery shops and shoot any bow that interests you. You'll be surprised just how different each one will feel. Once you get a few that you like then you can narrow it down from there. And once you make your decision the shop will be able to make sure the bow is setup to fit you.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you are only 15 you should probably stick to a bow that will grow with you easily. By that I mean one that has an easily adjusted draw length with a module type system as opposed to one that would need a complete cam change. Check out a 50-60 lb Reflex Grizzly package ( Cheap and easily adjustable and good performance for the buck ). It would serve you well as you grow.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

I would recommend a Browning Rage.You can get the kit for under $320,and depending on how strong you are you can go with 45-55 or 55-65lb pulls.And the draw length is adjustable from 21-31".
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=54536&hvarDept=400&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=13&hvarSubCode =2&hvarTarget=browse
Old 08-28-2005, 07:25 PM

thanks very much for your input, i will go to bass pro soon and try the bows they have there sometime in the next week or two, thanks for all your help!
-hotgunner21
Old 08-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hotgunner21

thanks very much for your input, i will go to bass pro soon and try the bows they have there sometime in the next week or two, thanks for all your help!
-hotgunner21
Not to put down chain stores like Bass Pro, but you're most likely going to be better off getting started at an actual archery pro shop. As an overall rule their employees are more knowledgable about getting you properly set up with the right size bow and accessories to ensure you start off on the right foot.

Personally I get most of my bow work done at a shop, and use the chain outlets simply for purchasing some of the goods that I can't easily get from a local pro shop.

My advice would be to go in, let them what you're looking for, have them size you up for a bow, then take a look at some of the options they have available and make a decision from there. There are a lot of great bows and assorted goodies on the market today so make sure you test as many out as you can before making a decision. Simply listening to the recommendation of another hunter isn't always the best way to get what you want out of a bow setup.

Good luck, and good hunting!
Old 08-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Justin. Forget about Bass Pro. While they have a huge selection of stuff you will be much much better off by going to a real pro shop and having one of their staff take the time to fit you to a bow. It may cost more up front but the extra price will pay for itself in the form of the one on one personal time a pro shop should give you.

Shoot as many bows as possible to get a good feel for what you like in your price range. The grip is the single most important part of shooting a bow well. Make sure that the one you buy has a comfortable grip and is fairly torque free. Those big fat ribber grips are not the best for an accurate bow.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:45 PM
RHF

If there are no shops nearby - I recommend www.huntersfriend.com

Very informative site, and very friendly people.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

PSE Nova. Cannot really go wrong with it as it is probably the biggest selling bow of all time. PSE has had it in their lineup for several years now and it does offer a large amount of draw length and draw weight adjustment plus the price is typically in the $200 range bare bow.

Definitely head to a pro shop to get sized up though before you buy anything.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Spike

Try the Buckmasters BTR bow from Wal-Mart.
That right Wal-mart!
I bought this bow for $ 183.00, it comes with fiber optic sights arrow rest & quiver attachment.
You will have to take it to an archery shop to get it set up, but you won't be disappointed, I'm not!
The bow weight is 55-70,& draw is 28-30
Looks & shoots as good as a more expensive bow.
Save money and buy it !

Quick Reply: i need help getting a bow, suggestions plz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.