Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Another broadhead test (Stinger vs Slick Trick vs Thunderhead)

Old 08-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Another broadhead test (Stinger vs Slick Trick vs Thunderhead)

Hey there.... I had a crazy, nutty, idea regarding my broadheads. Check out these photos that I just took with my wife's digital camera.

{You see, if you recall, I had one of those "Black Hole" targets for about two years and it was so shot up and destroyed, I ended up throwing it out. So, just for kicks and a "what the heck" attitude, I went extremely cheap about a week ago and bought a cheezy little cheap, high compressed styrofoam target at Wal-mart. It was only like $15 bucks so I don't really give it much regard. It will probably last about a month or so and fall apart. ....whatever.}

Anyway, I was just out with my trusty old '96 PSE Edge round wheel dual cam bow (65#, 30" draw, 65% letoff). I had three arrows (XX75 2315's at 30.5" length) each tipped with:
125gr Magnus Stinger 4 blade
125gr Slick Trick
125gr NAP Thunderhead

The distance was 20 yards, level ground, in my backyard. I wasn't concentrating on Robin Hood's or 1" groups. I was looking for a spot on the target that wasn't shot, where the styrofoam was still in excellent shape (that's why it looks like I have 4" groups..... )

This photo and the next photo really show the power of a 125gr broadhead at 230-235fps with a massive 568grain arrow (flying tire iron! )

Now, look at the results from my little broadhead "test".... Like I said, the same bow, the same arrows, the same distance (20 yards, level ground). In regards to the Slick Tricks, I did take them apart and sharpen them up really nice, so now they are good and sharp like Thunderheads, Muzzys, etc...etc...

I will say this.... I am really really REALLY surprised at the NAP Thunderheads! I mean, this is just a solid 1 foot thick piece of styrofoam. They didn't even hardly penetrate out the backside! Look at these results.... The Stingers sliced and diced through the styrofoam to a distance of 5" sticking out. The Slick Tricks smashed their way through the styrofoam like a Mack truck to a distance of 3 1/2" sticking out. Wow....

I know I am no where's near the broadhead tester of "5shot", but I wanted to just show you the results from my old tried and true classic setup and what an aluminum 2315 weighing in at 568 grains does to a 24x24x12 styrofoam target.

Butch A.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Another broadhead test (Stinger vs Slick Trick vs Thunderhead)

Nice tests Butch. Not all surprising considering the tip design in my opinion though I am sure someone will bring up something about the density of the material or the overall consistancy from one section to the next.

Thanks for taking the time to do the test and post about it.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

No problem.... Here's another update: I just did another test because I was concerned over the Thunderhead's penetration. Man, I feel like a total fool.... [:-] The nock on that arrow I used for the Thunderhead was one of the old XX75 that didn't have the unibushing and nock. This old arrow had the glue on nock and I guess was a little tight on the string.

Therefore, after realizing this stupid mistake and hopefully not causing problems for NAP Thunderheads, I reshot just the Thunderhead alone with the exact same arrow that the Slick Trick was using.

SURPRISE!!! The Thunderhead slammed right into the cheap Wal-Mart target and penentrated right through with 4" of arrow sticking out the back. (See photo below).

Therefore in conclusion.... With a cheap, cheezy looking, 24x24x12 Wal-Mart compressed styrofoam target, these are the results with the 3 broadheads:

Magnus Stinger: Sliced right through with 5" of arrow sticking out the backside.
Slick Trick: Smashed right through with 3 1/2" of arrow sticking out the backside.
NAP Thunderhead: Sliced right through with 4" of arrow sticking out the backside.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the test and the info......and the follow up is commendable!!
Old 08-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks... One other thing I noticed after checking over the styrofoam target and the broadheads:

Magnus Stinger: Nice surgical incision through target. It sliced cleanly through, leaving only the hole from the arrow shaft clearly visible, with a few loose pieces of styrofoam on the ground.

Slick Trick: Punched through the target with brute force. It did not slice. It ripped, shredded, and smashed a big hole through the target. Scattered chunks of styrofoam on ground.

NAP Thunderhead: Nice cut through target, not as surgically precise as Magnus Stinger, but not a crushing smash like the Slick Trick. A few loose pieces of styrofoam on ground.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I watched a friend using his Slick ?trick's today ,and I must say I was rather impressed with them ,very sharp ,very accurate with no adjustment's made to match his field point's .They're a a very tough broad head .I'll be using them now for this season .I was just that impressed .I use the Montec G5's and I really like them as well ,but really like the construction of the slick's 4 blade's and razor sharp.

nubo
Old 08-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nubo
I watched a friend using his Slick trick's today, and I must say I was rather impressed with them, very sharp ,very accurate with no adjustment's made to match his field point's. They're a a very tough broad head.
That's cool... They're a nasty little bugger aren't they? [8D] They are the most accurate broadhead I have ever seen. I mean, when you think about it, they basically resemble a 4 bladed field tip.

I can't decide who gets the #1 spot in the quiver this season (Slick Tricks orMagnus Stingers) - my old Thunderheads are a backup. I still have to play around with different scenarios while shooting them to finally decide. But for now, both fly equally welland amazingly accurate. The Magnus Stingers slice through anything, while the Slick Tricks punch and make a massive hole.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been shooting the slick tricks prepping up for deer season. They are flying great and really hitting hard. I have noticed that every time I shoot the broadhead I have to unscrew it and rescrew it in, otherwise one of the blades comes a little loose.
I can't wait to blow one right through a deer!!!

Great test ButchA. Good info. I have all sorts of white styrofoam foam floating around my back yard from the very same target... It looks like it is snowing!

Old 08-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter
Great test ButchA. Good info. I have all sorts of white styrofoam foam floating around my back yard from the very same target... It looks like it is snowing!
LOL!!! [8D]
The Slick Tricks do some major damage to the styrofoam target! If you peel back the whitecovering on the backsidewhere the Slick Trick was, you'll see agaping hole likethe styrofoam was hitwith a deer slug at close range!

Edit: Oh yeah, one more thing.... Ease of arrow removal....
Magnus Stinger -Easily pulls from styrofoam target with broadhead still on and intact and cleanly slices the target as it comes back out.
Slick Trick - Won't pull back through. You have to unscrew the broadhead, like Western MA said.
NAP Thunderhead -Pulls from styrofoam target with great effort, but it pulls back through and tears the target as it comes back out.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes Butch those Slick Trick's are lethal lil bugger's ,but they sure impressed me with their accuracy and the cutting dia .Definately leave a nasty hole in the target ,can just imagine the blood trail I'm gonna have to follow.

nubo

Quick Reply: Another broadhead test (Stinger vs Slick Trick vs Thunderhead)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.