Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

high country

Old 08-14-2005, 04:55 PM

Default high country

I went to aoutdoor show in Houston about a week ago.Alot of blinds and feeders but not any bows except high country and they had hundreds.The problem was there was no where to shoot them.My nephew was with me and he wanted a new bow.I have a switchback and the salesman was telling us this bow they make is faster and smoother with less vibration than mine.He said my switchback would become my back up bow.When weasked can we shoot it.He said he would ask a guy who was set up to shoot right out side the door but when we came back around that still hadn't been set up.Needless to say we weren't going to pay 600 bucks for a bow and not shoot it.
When I got back to my home I found a bow shop about 70 miles away that sold high country.I went and shot one.Apparently that salesman hadn'd shot one.It wasn't even close to my switchback.Even the bow pro laughed at me when I said I heared it shot as good as mine.My arm is still vibratingfrom that bow.I dont want to put anyones bows down but that was a bald face lie.Be careful and shoot as many bows as you can before you buy.
Good news, it is 34 days until deer bow season here.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: high country

Personally I would not buy any bow from any manufacturer that decided to drill a hole horrizontally through all four limbs at the spot on the limb that receives the most stress.

Many other manufacturers put dampening devices on their split limbs with out feeling the need to drill holes through the limbs.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gentlemen, I have 2 High Country bows, an Extreme and Knight Force. I'm not saying they're the best (or the worst) but I just can't afford a Mathews at this time. My HCA bows have served me well over the past 15 or so years. Never a failure, are very accurate. My Knight Force does have a 'kick' to it and I have actually vibrated a sight to the point where the arm snapped in two pieces. My current HTM sight is rugged and is holding up very well. So unless I win the lottery or come up with a spare $800 - I'll stick with my HC's.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Well said Bronko. I shot HCA for several years and still shoot a Machine Supreme for my indoor bow. Great bows for the money. I shoot a supertec now and hope Hoyt's customer service can come close to being as good a HCA's
Old 08-18-2005, 08:08 AM

I shoot a HCA bow and it has no vibration and is very quiet with no silencers and is shooting a total arrow weight of 235 grains.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:50 PM

Im still shooting my HCA Highcaliber with overdraw. Shoots great, has good speed and is pretty quiet. The bow is pretty old and I've never had any problems with it
Old 08-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys have your HCA bows and like them. That's fine. Just take this into consideration. This is not the same company that it was even five years ago. I don't like to bash companies or their products, but take what 4HOGS said to the bank.

There are a lot of signs that companies are in some sort of trouble. Check out their dealer base in you area or even your state. How many are there? How many of their bows do you see being shot around where you live. HCA is selling most of their bows directly to the consumer, both at shows and directly, cutting the throats of any dealers they may have. For the most part any warranty work you may need (and you will need it) means you'll have to deal with the company directly.

These are just a couple things to think about. The bows are no faster than anything shooting the same weight arrow, and they do have a lot of vibration due to the light weight. I've seen a few with severe cam-lean due to weak limbs (re: bigbull's comment about the hole drilled through the limbs). I sent one back to the company for a customer and it came back just as bad as when it left.

Companies come and companies go. In the archery business they don't last long if their quality goes down. Need I say more?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:36 PM

I've shot a Power Force XL for 3 seasons. One 11-pointer, One 9-pointer, One 8-pointer, and 14 does later.... I can tell you it's a quiet and accurate bow.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

I've had my HC Ultra for five years.
That is one of the HCA's I shot for a year or so. Great bow IMO. I also had two Supremes and aBrute Force. All were good bows.

SF

Quick Reply: high country

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.