Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Fingers vs. Release

Old 08-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fingers vs. Release

Howdy folks, I have a question that I am certain someone on here can answer. I currently shoot using fingers with my bow, but I think I want to switch to a release just so that I can dial in a little more, and I would also like to be able to shorten my arrows a bit. I'm a bigger guy (6'10") so I have a super long draw and currently shoot full length 2514 arrow. I'm hoping that I will be able to get some more speed out of the release if I can shorten my arrows a little. If I do end up going with the release, what kinds of changes should I expect as far as peep sight being moved and things like that. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fingers vs. Release

YooperMike, I hunt and target shoot with fingers using a Hoyt, ProTec and 2514 Super Slams. I also have a Hoyt, UltraTec set up for release for 3-D competition. With the release bow I shoot a NAP 3000 rest and Cascade release. The rest will give you about an inch and the rope on the release another 1 to 1 1/2". I would recommend the Cascade model 8 release for someone switching from fingers to mechanical release. With the Cascade model 8 you draw as usual and when on target, depress the trigger button to set the release. When you relax your thumb on the button the release will fire. Very similar function as releasing with your fingers by just relaxing your thumb on the trigger device. With this model you can also change the release with a twist of an allen screw to trigger when the button is pushed.
Good Hunting....
Old 08-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reply Sniper!
Old 08-06-2005, 06:41 PM

YooperMike,

I also have a long draw length although I'm sure not as long as yours (6'6", 33" draw). I only shot fingers for yearsmainly because I liked the idea of nothing breaking while hunting. Last year a friend talked me into trying a release, and I haven't looked back. By adding a loop to my string, I was able to get a bow with a 32 inch draw. The main reason I stay with the release is when I picked the bow up for the first time this spring, I was still dead on.

I would suggest that you give it a try. Maybe a friends or a shop would let you try one.
Tom
Old 08-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see I'm not the only one with the draw-length problem!! Thanks for the input!
Old 08-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tom, I agree with you 100%. I really enjoy shooting fingers style. I purchased a bow and all the bells and whistles for shooting release. In the past two years I have used the bow for 6 shoots. Talk about pissing away some money. I could have purchased another fingers setup. Live and learn.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:02 PM

Yooper, wonder where your from. how bout some euchre, eh? Jus went to a release this year after 25 years of bow hunting. Took awhile to get used to, but I'm beginning to prefer it. accuracy up... WAY UP!! Much more consistant. Haven't hunted with the release yet, but do not anticipate any problems.
bear
Old 08-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Standingbear...euchre is a WI thing...up in da UP we call it smear!