Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

compound or traditional long bow.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:04 PM

Default compound or traditional long bow.

I am planning on making my first bow purchase very soon and would like some information on wich i should pick, so please send me fact or opinions. Wich is better a compound bow or a traditional wooden long bow? I have been thinking compound because they would last longer but i have heard long bows can last just as long as any metal material bow but this is hard for me to belive. Thank you in advance for your posts.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: compound or traditional long bow.

A lot is going to depend on how hard you plan on working on your skills. You have to be honest with yourself on that one. A compound will not take as long to become proficient. Both of the bows have their advantages and disadvantages. I find the longbow much more rewarding however. As far as bow life, I personally wouldn't be all that concerned.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:11 PM

thank you.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:42 PM

This is the thing a long bow will out last any compound because the year after you get a new compound it is considered old and you have to get a new bow that shoots even faster and ways 50lbs after you get all the stuff put on it.

A long bow takes alot of work to get good but thats all it takes, not a new site or arrow rest just hard work to get that thing shooting good. Compounds are more acurate and easyer to learn to shoot acurtly but that to me is less rewarding.

I enjoy the simplicity of a long bow and my god are they light.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:37 AM

I hunt with both compounds and traditional gear. I'm not sure where the longevity issue with traditional bows came from but you can go to ebay and see plenty of recurves and longbows from a time when compounds didn't exist. I killed a buck in 2004 with a 1968 Browning recurve. Compounds were just "being born" when that bow was made.

Regarding choice of bow type: I take my compound out in the fall and make sure the sights and other bolt-on's haven't moved. I'm pretty accurate after a few practice sessions and I think most shooters are the same way. I prefer at least two weeks of daily practice with my compound before hunting--and thats a bow I've owned for five years and know well. With a recurve, I need approximately eight weeks after any significant layoff to get back enough accuracy to feel comfortable drawing on a live critter. This after years of shooting traditional gear.

Another thing to consider--and I think I'm not alone in this--effective range with compound can be a bit further than with a traditional bow. For me, about 20 yards is a maximum distance shot with a recurve and about 30 yards with a compound. If your hunt time is limited, that may play into your decision. In many cases, the difference won't matter. But I passed on a nice buck this past season that was out of range for my recurve. Had I been carrying my compound, it would have been a high-percentage shot for me. So the limitations you're willing to accept can play a role in what bow you should choose.

If you have the time and dedication for a traditional bow, its the only way to bowhunt in my view. If, like me, you can have alot of other things like work, family, etc. that can cut into your shooting schedule; a compound will keep you in the game with the least amount of effort. For all thats great about traditional archery gear, there are reasons the sport evolved to compounds. They suit contemporary living and time constraints rather well.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:19 AM

I think you first need to go to a local archery store that has a place to shoot. Try out a compound with sights and a release. Try a recurve if they have one with fingers and no sights. Your question is like," I've never worn shoes, do I need sneakers or boots?" The answer is "it depends on what you feel you need/want".

I started before compounds were available so I used a recurve and still enjoy shooting them. Compounds are easier on my tired old body so I shoot them as well. Your decision should be based on experience because there is a serious commitment (both money and time) to shooting. You need a bow ($200 minimum), arrows that match the bow ($30 minimum), release and sights for the compound ($60 minimum), target, quiver .......

My recommendation would be to get an entry level compound. Much shorter learning curve and easier to be accurate than traditional equipment. The key is HAVE FUN and know that people rarely (if ever) buy their first rig and 40 years later are still shooting that same bow exclusively. Many buy a new bow every year. I don't understand this behavior but it does make many like new bows available to beginners like yourself.