Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Newbie questions

Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 AM

Default Newbie questions

I have not bow fished since I was a kid, but saw some fiberglass arrows, and thought it looked like fun to try it again. Any tips/tricks?! I know about refraction, I live in Montana now, a lot different than SE Kansas. Thanks.
Joe
Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie questions

Aim low
Old 05-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigjim12

Aim low
Then aim a little lower.

keep your draw weight low , around 45lbs. Use saftey slides. Be safe and have fun!! Best time to go is when the water levelis rising not when it is falling.

OOH RA!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM

I have a 40lb recurve I will be putting to use, what is a safety slide?
Joe
Old 05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sekoutdoors

I have a 40lb recurve I will be putting to use, what is a safety slide?
Joe
There not a necessity butsomerecommendit. I personally don't use it for my recurve. It I was shooting a compound and had to use a "roller" type rest..........than I might. Just my .02 though

It goes over the arrow that way when you draw back your string isn't tied around the back of the arrow, it slides to the front.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM

Bowfishing may be good when the water is rising, but as I found out it isn't so great when you are bank fishing across the river from where you need to be and they let the water out of the dam and the water goes up 3 to 4 feet! I nearly drowned, but did get some great exercise walking back agaisnt that current! One thing I did find out just starting is it seem crazy how low you have to aim so how I learned to aim was I attached a bobber to a big bell sinker so it would suspend off the bottom like the shots I would be taking and practiced until my shots were right on it. Before that I kept missing but after that I started hitting them aiming way lower than ever seemed logical!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:30 PM

you don't really need that saftey slide "in my opnion" we do it all the time without it all we have is and old pse rigged up with a muzzy rod holder and a muzzy tip...............go out and aim really low and have a blast!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

Spend the $2, get a safety slide, ensure you keep your vision, or worse!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Great tips from the posters here. I strongly recommend the slides.

Here's an article that goes over some of the basic equipment. http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/article_detail.aspx?articles_id=504

Polarized glasses are a must if you're shooting during the day. Always have at least two arrows.

Hungry cow, tell us more about your walk/swim. [:-]
Old 05-08-2008, 12:04 PM

The French Broad River runs right next to the edge of the campus of Johnson Bible College where I go to school. I don't bring my bass boat to school so I just wade. The other side of the river is where the carp are so I wade across in a spot where it doesn't get much more than knee deep, most of the river doesn't get more than 5 or 6 feet in the middle. But I walked down the bank on the other side a quarter of a mile or so and found where the carp were as well as a few 5 foot long grass carp that would never quite give me a shot. Normally they never let water out of the Douglas dam upstream in the spring so I didn't bother to check the schedule. But for some reason they let the water out. There is no way around to get back across without going through the river. So I hurried back to the spot where I waded across but the water was pretty high by this point. I took my waders of so they wouldn't flood and carried my bow and fishing pole I brought. Where the water was about knee deep before it was chest high now. The current was pretty stong then when I got to the part near some rapids where I get out the water was to strong to walk upstream against. I had to lean back into it and take little steps backward pushing with everything I had like a tug of war to make progress being careful not to lose my footing and get swept away. I thought I might just have to try to swim across the current and try to make it to an island down river but I managed to make it to the shore. So now I make shure to call and check the dam schedule before heading across river!
[align=left] [/align]