Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

simple question

Old 01-07-2007, 11:20 AM

Default simple question

with bowfishing stetup how do you target practice.
Was going to chagne tip to field point but thoght ask before damaging something.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: simple question

I use plastic 1 gallon water jugs. Just through it out in the yard and shoot. So far I have not damaged any tips other than just getting them dull.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

I have a muzzy tip and arrow dedicated to target practice. I bent the barb and removed it. Well worth waisting an arrow to brush up on my shooting. Last fall I started to pullthe boat out in the yard and target things on the ground to shoot at off my deck. Shoot fast and instictively. Don't concentrate so much on aiming and you'll see an amazing improvement the more you do it. The neighbors probably thought I was crazy but I'm convinced it helped tremendously.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Field tips? Are you using hunting arrows or a bowfishing arrow?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Spike

I just unscrewed the tip off my SureShot Penetrator and took the barb off. Then shot a normal foam archery target. Once you get to the lake just hold low and let 'em rip.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I practice on fish.

For non-fish practice, I'd recommend an actual bowfishing arrow with the barb removed as Mark suggested. You want it to fly and drop like the real thing. A sand pit is a great backstop.

Unfortunately, the hardest part of bowfishing is staying in touch with the whole "aim-low" concept, and that can only be done in the water, so anything that is actually submerged will be better at honing the most critical skill than mere shooting at targets on the ground, but any shooting is better than none.

Just talking about this is making me want to get out there and shoot some real fish.