Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

how much

Old 05-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: how much

ORIGINAL: Zoomer

At the risk of coming across like a total newBie (which I am), if 80 Gr. is enough, then why the push for magnum load rifles? I recently purchased a Thomson Omega that is able to load 150 Gr. of pyrodex or equivalent and pushes bullets to 2,250 or such. As a longtime rifle shooter/hunter and league skeet shooter I would like to know why (if you were able to) wouldn't you shoot the maximum powder charge available for that bullet (Assuming 3 things; 1. I'm shooting Whitetails. 2. Recoil isn't a factor and, 3. Accuracy loss at max loads in "relatively" insignificant. I'm currently shooting 250 Grain T/C shockwaves and Hornady SST's and XTP's...with3 50 Gr. pellets of 777. I usually drive a 168 Gr. bullet out of my -06 at 3,200 fps or so, or a 12 Guage slug at deer and am confused as to why you wouldnt want to propell a big muzzleloader bullet at the maximum speed that you can - remembering that physics tells us that increased velocity for a given weight bullet equals more kinetic energy, therefore more knockdown power.
Zoomer good point. People have been taking deer for much longer then the new inline rifles with their magnum charges have been, using moderate charges and simple projectiles. As long as you know the limitations of your load and weapon you're using, they will work just fine.

The modern inline with the magnum charges and modern projectiles have only increased the range at which muzzleloaders can take animals out to. Never underestimate the power of the simple muzzleloader shooter. At the right range, deer are just as dead. Not to mention a lot cheaper to shoot then then some of the modern rifles such as yours.