Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

my tc hawken

Old 03-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default my tc hawken

heres some pics of my tc 50cal hawken like i told you guys id get on here sooner or later....its later....much later lol....i blackend the brass....refinished the stock with truoil, put on tc fiberoptic sights...for my old 18yearold eyes to focus on, a lyman frizzen, and a new touch hole...oh ya...drilled the stock for the sling and bought tcs sling kit and the front goes into the thimble for the ramrod.... sorry they are links to my webshot page...i didnt title my pics and cant figure out which ones they are out of hundreds i have saved by numbers....feel free to look at the rest of my pics...im working on my webshots day by day...takes a while...but the links will take you to the hawken... the black kinda wore off the brass a bit since hunting and shooting it over a year...but it still looks better then that shiny brass!!
http://client.webshots.com/photo/305...06259315rteTpl
http://client.webshots.com/photo/305...06259511BGVhVo
http://client.webshots.com/photo/305...06259659pVNiJO
....hope you guys like it
Old 03-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: my tc hawken

Nice!!!
I'm not personally a fan of a sling on my Hawkens but it looks very functional.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

very functional....and im sure if i ever kill a deer with it ill be glad i have it....about the only time id use it....walking im afraid of the flash pwder falling out....or jamming up the touch hole ect....so i carry it walking..i do drive deer alot....im usually a shooter....but when we gather to talk ect ill dump the pan for saftey reasons....and if i want i sling it.....but it works....the sling is an sks sling...looks kinda good on there i think.....i been looking for a more "traditional" looking sling....but havent found anything i like more then the sks sling...found jute and jute/leather ones...look nice....but id have that white jute looking like crap in no time......i hunt hard....and my flinter always seems to take more abuse then my other guns....guess its the weather i carry the flinter in....late flintlock is usually snow or rain....should seen the stock before i redid it.....all that was on it was some plasticy clear coat.....and when i scratched it it would turn white.....looked like heck.....i had to do somethin about it!
Old 03-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

If I need both hands free (like if I'm dragging a deer )
For my rifles that I don't put slings on, I have a little rope that I noose on both ends and then slip them over the end of the barrel behind the front sight and around the narrow section of the stock. Makes for a nifty sling that's also not in the way during shooting and handling. In fact, I've been using the same piece of rope for over 25 years.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:07 PM
Dominant Buck

mauser06.. a fine looking rifle without doubt. What did you use to darken the brass on the rifle? I personally like the brass look but others have asked from time to time what is a good way to blacken the brass..
Old 03-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad.....i used birchwood casey(i think) "brass black....same maker as tru oil ect......its not VERY difficult to do...though it is hard to get the hang of.....i steel wooled the brass clean and left it rough......not too rough...used fine wool...then degressed it with the same makers degresser and cleaner....after that you just apply the blackening liquid on it.....but its wierd....it has to be applied evenly....and sometimes doesnt take..probably because of oil from my hands n such....try to not touch them little pieces while doing work like that!!!! i tried soaking parts in the liquid..didnt take....it has to be rubbed on it with some force...and evenly...for a while.....min or 2...youll notice it dry and soaking in.....once you get the hang of it it isnt bad....i hope to find an easier way....and something more durable....it wore off.....just the parts i either didnt get good....and the parts im always handling....i love the look of the brass...especially with the darker finish of the truoil stock......but when im hunting in the late season im in full camo...and sometimes theres snow...and BRIGHT sun shining...sure you know what them days are like....snow makes it seem so bright....and that brass reflected like nothing else....couldnt stand that....its my hunting rifle....so i darkened it up....it still looks good i think....and has a neat look.....and i read that most original hawkens had steel not brass....so they would been a dark color..till i graduate college thats as close to a custom rifle as i will come.....im going to refinish the brass someday before next season...and add a few coats of tru oil to the stock...i noticed it soaked some up since i put it on a year ago.....
Old 03-30-2005, 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

cayugad.....i used birchwood casey(i think) "brass black....same maker as tru oil ect......its not VERY difficult to do...though it is hard to get the hang of.....i steel wooled the brass clean and left it rough......not too rough...used fine wool...then degressed it with the same makers degresser and cleaner....after that you just apply the blackening liquid on it.....but its wierd....it has to be applied evenly....and sometimes doesnt take..probably because of oil from my hands n such....try to not touch them little pieces while doing work like that!!!! i tried soaking parts in the liquid..didnt take....it has to be rubbed on it with some force...and evenly...for a while.....min or 2...youll notice it dry and soaking in.....once you get the hang of it it isnt bad....i hope to find an easier way....and something more durable....it wore off.....just the parts i either didnt get good....and the parts im always handling....i love the look of the brass...especially with the darker finish of the truoil stock......but when im hunting in the late season im in full camo...and sometimes theres snow...and BRIGHT sun shining...sure you know what them days are like....snow makes it seem so bright....and that brass reflected like nothing else....couldnt stand that....its my hunting rifle....so i darkened it up....it still looks good i think....and has a neat look.....and i read that most original hawkens had steel not brass....so they would been a dark color..till i graduate college thats as close to a custom rifle as i will come.....im going to refinish the brass someday before next season...and add a few coats of tru oil to the stock...i noticed it soaked some up since i put it on a year ago.....
One of the major ML suppliers makes a replacement set of "iron furniture" for the TC Hawken...same parts, dimensions, etc...just iron instead of brass.
Of course the name escapes me at the moment...maybe someone else will remember if it's something you'd be interested in
Old 03-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Dominant Buck

It is without doubt an interesting look mauser06. I will just leave mine brass. In fact I take brasso to it and shine the devil out of it.. Come hunting season I will address that issue if I think it is a concern. I do want to shoot one this year with a flintlock if the deer will cooperate. So far all I have managed to get is a couple pine squirrels with my .50 caliber Hawkins flintlock...
Old 03-30-2005, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

It is without doubt an interesting look mauser06. I will just leave mine brass. In fact I take brasso to it and shine the devil out of it.. Come hunting season I will address that issue if I think it is a concern. I do want to shoot one this year with a flintlock if the deer will cooperate. So far all I have managed to get is a couple pine squirrels with my .50 caliber Hawkins flintlock...
I keep mine showroom ready all the time...shiny brass apparently hasn't ever bothered any deer that's walked in front of my sights...now they have had a problem with those pesky patched round balls...
Old 04-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I made a slight adjustment on the sights from yesterday on my T/C .50 caliber Flintlock Hawkins and wanted to see if the adjustment was right.. I guess it was.

The ignition time was excellent and the rifle is sure a good shooter. I really like the fact that I can take this Hawkins apart when I clean it and really clean all the parts without putting a flush kit on the side of it and risking getting solution or soap and water all over my stock, floor, and what else.

Thompson Center makes and excellent flintlock rifle in my opinion. I am sure glad I listened to some of the posters before I made my first flintlock purchase.

Quick Reply: my tc hawken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.