Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hangfires and misfires in an old sidelock.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hangfires and misfires in an old sidelock.

I was just wondering what you folks have done to cure this problem. I just cleaned out the priming pan under the nipple real well and put on a hotshot nipple I am hoping this works but any other sugestions will be helpful.

BTW Cayugad, this is the old CVA I talked with you about in the other forum It shot ok I guess the bore wasn't hurt that bad. Now I have to fix the hangfire problem.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hangfires and misfires in an old sidelock.

What you did may fix it. Did you remove the nipple & flush the bore with water before oiling it for storage purposes?

Also... you need to make sure the place you are keeping your powder is a dry environment. Also need to need to consider powder age & how many times it's been outdoors on a range table. Damp weather will contaminate it within a few hours sometimes.

Also need to make sure your powder is reaching below the nipple. After pouring my powder "slowly", I twist & turn the muzzle-up rifle 180 degrees kinda fast a few times. Some folks use their palm & slap the side the barrel near the breech. Also need to consider finer powder FFF instead of FF.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Hangfires are caused by many reasons. The hot shot nipple might be all that is needed. If not then the suggestions Triple Se7en offered will help.

A friend's son bought a new rifle and brought it over to the house to shoot it and learn about muzzleloaders I guess. That was the most hang fire/miss fire monster I ever saw. I gave him a new hot shot nipple out of my supply and that did not help. So I took his rifle to the shop and blew the bolster out with an air compressor, and that did not help. I alcoholed the barrel and still not good. I then tried some hotter caps and still hangfire or misfires from him. I beat on the sides of it and did everything I could think of. I was at wits end. Then I saw the Pyrodex he was loading and asked how old it was. Turned out it was about eight years old. So I told him to hold on a second...

We loaded his rifle with my Goex 3f and if purred like a kitten....

All you can do is play with them. I have one side lock that I can not swab the bore with anything other then pure alcohol. Anything else and it will hang fire or miss fire....

Keep us posted and glad it is still a shooter....
Old 03-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Are you using oil? Regular gun oil or other petroleum products will cause black powder/pyrodex/777 to misfire or hang. Best to use bore butter or plain ole crisco..and go light...
Old 03-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cyclone

Are you using oil? Regular gun oil or other petroleum products will cause black powder/pyrodex/777 to misfire or hang. Best to use bore butter or plain ole crisco..and go light...
Possibly, unless you remove sythetic or petroleum based lubes prior to loading and shooting. Synthetic lubes (Clenzoil & Otis Ultra-Bore) here for long term storage. Clenzoil since the late 60's/early 70's.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

I did pick up some Goex fff for the rifle today (also use it in my Lyman pistol) what size load of fff should I use in the rifle? It will take upto 110g ff with a round ball but I never shot fff in a rifle before.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Most people recommend to start your rifle out around 70 grains of Goex 3f. Then work upward. I personally start them at 80 grains and they usually come in around 85 grains in a .50 caliber sidelock. It's just less goofing around. Actually they will shoot real well with the Goex 3f and I think you will be surprised at the lack of fowling, then what you might be expecting.

I shoot Goex all the time and the stink, smoke, and fowling don't bother me one bit. Sure I like clean burning powders, but I also like to see the whole back yard full of thick gray smoke after I shoot. It always puts a smile on my face...
Old 03-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

WOW!!! 70-80g fff that little ball must be smoking down range!! That is cool.

I have read where 50g fff will get you over 1550 fps mv with a .50 round ball.

I can't wait to try it but with this rifles history I think I will take a few at 60g before moving up thanks!!
Old 03-31-2005, 01:11 PM

take it to a proshop
Old 03-31-2005, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot, this is just a project gun not one of my hunting rifles. I am trying to bring an old basket case to life that should have been left in the back of the closet but I can't see having a gun around you can't play with. I will find my origional post about this gun from another forum and repost it so people know what we are dealing with.

I originally bought the gun for $100 well used in the late 80's.

BTW no shops wanted to work on it lol...

Quick Reply: Hangfires and misfires in an old sidelock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.