Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Crud ring question

Old 03-10-2005, 10:27 AM

Default RE: Crud ring question

Big Country's and Cayugad's comments got me to thinking about my shooting practices. I also swab between shots so maybe its this practice or the Black Mag3 not having a crud ring, or both. I called my brother-in-law and he doesn't swab between shots but he does swab "every so often". So I guess that is some of the reason for his "crud ring". He just says it is hard to clean near his breechplug and he thought it may be from the pellets or hotter 209 ignition. I think if he swabbed inbetween shots or just a little more often it wouldn't exist at all? Maybe Big Country has hit on something and this crud ring is just one of those muzzleloading myths someone started just to "stir the pot" and have a lot of fun out of these hunting forums. Since Triple 7 seems to be immensely popular both in powder and pellet form, maybe it was one of the other competitors that started this rumor? The one actual fact I do know from these forums is that Triple 7 and Black Mag3 do vary in their "felt recoil" with the Black Mag3 being easier on the shoulder. The Black Mag3 powder ignites better for me than the Triple 7 and I'm basing that on my using a #11 cap. I had to go to a musket cap to keep constant ignition from Triple 7 but have not had any misfires with Black Mag3 yet. The downside to Black Mag3 is that it is more expensive than any of the other black powder substitutes readily available in my area.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:22 PM

Thanks to all for your advice and comments. I'm not worried about the crud ring, I was just asking about it since their seems to be a number of post and questions on the subject. I clean my weapons everytime I shoot them and when shooting a muzzleloader I always swab between every two shots (with my old traditions) and intend to do the same with my Omega. Anyway, Thanks for the info.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Katana

Thanks to all for your advice and comments. I'm not worried about the crud ring, I was just asking about it since their seems to be a number of post and questions on the subject. I clean my weapons everytime I shoot them and when shooting a muzzleloader I always swab between every two shots (with my old traditions) and intend to do the same with my Omega. Anyway, Thanks for the info.
I think you started this post with the mention that you have an Omega. I have one also and to answer the "what is all this about crud ring?" question: When I shoot ffg Tripple Seven in my Omega the crud ring that forms is so strong that I have to run two to three patches wet (I have tried alcohol, windex-non amonia, No 13 and water) then several dry patches and even then I still cannot get a second sabot loaded without using a brass brush to get rid of the 777 crud ring. I don't know how many hunt elk without a hunting pardner but I cannot afford to let them wander into a canyon so I sometimes need a second shot to drop the big animals within a resonable recovery area. The above drill would allow the elk to make about a mile before I could get reloaded. I have had them drop within 50 yards with one shot but I have also had them travel several hundred yards when hit well. So the crud ring is a problem for me and apparently for some others. Some rifles and bullet combinations do not form the heavy crud ring apparently but I have not found that to be true with my Omega. Black Mag'3 fixes all the above problems.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

By September, Remington Kleanbore 209 primers will be available. They help to reduce crud rings along with 777 FFF loose powder. The crud ring is a non-issue in my Omega since I went to weak 209 primer and fine powder. Two shots are no problem using 130 grain Pyrodex equivalent with 777.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

By September, Remington Kleanbore 209 primers will be available. They help to reduce crud rings along with 777 FFF loose powder. The crud ring is a non-issue in my Omega since I went to weak 209 primer and fine powder. Two shots are no problem using 130 grain Pyrodex equivalent with 777.
I know you are pretty satisfied with 777. I wonder if your Omega was as bad as mine is with Winchester 209 and ffg 777. It was so bad I actually broke a range rod twice trying to deal with the crud ring (actually broke the jag). I finally decided the only thing that would work for me was to run the brass brush each time before I sent a patch down and then I still had to run it again after a wet patch to get all the crud out. I believe the crud ring is worse in dry climate and of course I am in Arizona. If I believed that going to fffg would make it usable I might consider trying it again but so far I can't find any fffg in my area and the price of ffg has gone up in Walmart to $23 a pound. I will buy Black Mag'3 that works great if I am going to spend $23 for 777 that might work. I am interested in how your Omega was with ffg 777.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

With 777, If you clean well in-between shots, then fouling near the breech or "crud ring' is not really an issue, unless you don't do that good of job cleaning in-between each shot. Then eventually the buildup will cause loading difficulties to impossibility depending on the bore tolerance of your rifle and your projectile choice. Tighter bores and projectiles such as sabot are more rapidly affected by fouling with respect to loading ease.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

try this it works for me an I shoot 2/50 gr pellet 777 Hornady sabot (black) Hornady XTP mag 300 gr HP (some 45 cal. bullets are as large as .454 for use in a 45 Colt down to .451 for 45 ACP)
I am currently using .452
Brush your bore with a brass brush from the breech end every 4-5 shots, spray Pam cooking spray in the breech end up from the breech plug threads forward about 2", the oil burns off clean and stops scorching, wipes out just as easy as your favorite cast iron frying pan. Uly
Old 03-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

A suggestion: I appreciate when the location for each person is listed as it gives me an idea about their conditions which in some cases is good information. For instance; I have noticed that the majority of people that seem to have little trouble with the 777 crud ring seem to be from humid climates. I am in Arizona and it is a biig problem for me. Just a thought.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Keith -sent you a PM

Charlie
Old 03-15-2005, 06:34 PM

Maryland here!!!!!! What crud ring????????

Quick Reply: Crud ring question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.