Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need info on Navy Arms Country Boy

Old 03-07-2005, 06:25 AM

Default Need info on Navy Arms Country Boy

Just picked up a barely used Navy Arms Country Boy 50 caliber inline muzzleloader in excellent condition. The guy didn't have any paperwork for it and didn't seem to know much about it. It has a black synthetic stock and a stainless steel barrel with a 1 in 32 twist. It doesn't seem to have much of a safety except when the bolt is raised upward into a slot. You have to take it down to fire and when you take it down, you better keep your finger off the trigger unless you are ready to shoot. I don't know if the trigger has had some work or not but it sure has a easy light trigger pull. The rifle appears to be well made and it came with both a #11 and musket nipple. The takedown wrench is kept inside a compartment in the stock. I've emailed Navy Arms to see if I can get any information from them but if anyone on this forum has one or knows something about them, I sure would appreciate any comments good or bad.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need info on Navy Arms Country Boy

About 10 years ago the neighbor up the road bought one of them Navy Arms although he always called it a Country Boy rifle. He got it pretty cheap actually. I saw it once, and your description of the rifle is exact. It actually looks kind of like my CVA Staghorn Magnum.

Does that have a removable breech plug? The reason I ask is I do not think the neighbors' did.. I asked him once how well it shot and he said (at that time) he had never shot it.

I will be watching for your posts on how well it shoots. Next time I see the neighbor I will ask him if he still has that rifle and any information on it. I would also be careful about not loading too much powder in it, and personally I would stay away from Triple Se7en until I was sure the rifle would not come apart on me....
Old 03-07-2005, 02:09 PM

Thanks cayugad. I plan on using Black Mag3 starting out with 75 grains until I work up a load that shoots well. I bought the gun pretty much in complete disassembly in a gun case with the barrel and stock inside and a pocket on the case containing everything small. I've got to put it all back together and the breechplug is out of it enabling to to look down the bore. The gun is a little dusty but it doesn't look like it has been fired much, if at all. The bore is real shiny so I don't know if it is just the stainless or if it is chrome lined. It also has both the #11 & musket nipple with it. Don't know if anyone makes a 209 conversion kit or if another brand might fit. The barrel contains your usual warnings along with the Navy Arms Country Boy 1-32 twist. On the side with the warnings it also has the cursed "made in China". I did email Navy Arms and got an almost instant reply stating that a copy of the manual would be mailed to me tomorrow morning. I guess I'll find out more when the manual arrives. I'll let you know how it shoots. It comes up quick and feels good handling it. May just be a diamond in the rough. Didn't cost hardly anything so if I'm disappointed in how it shoots I won't be upset with what I paid for it.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:16 PM

Unfortunately I don't know much about this gun. I do know that you can buy a brand new one for $79 plus shipping from the company in the link below. Just right click on there catolog and download it. They have some great prices on guns and parts sometimes.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

Let us know who you like it maybe we will all have to get one.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the link Rwalter63. I actually found a couple of hard to find items that I just couldn't live without. The $79.99 Country Boy they advertise is blue steel and the one I got was stainless so I guess mine may have cost a few bucks higher. Still an "El Cheapo" no matter what finish it has. I got mine from a gun show vendor who was retiring and selling off his inventory. The rifle was completely taken apart and cleaned but not put back together. The guy didn't have the manual and didn't want to fool around with figuring out how to put it back together so he sold me the gun case with the rifle and all of its parts for $20.00. I figured the case is worth that since it is one of those heavy duty cordura almost waterproof cases with a side pocket (where all the small parts to the rifle were located in plastic bags) plus it is suppose to float even if the rifle is is it. I emailed Navy Arms and a copy of the manual arrived on Wednesday. The gun is now back together and it appears to function like an inline should. It is a simple design with the only safety being with the bolt locked in an upward slot. When the bolt is down it is ready to fire and it appears to have one sweet trigger pull so you had better be ready to shoot when you put your finger on the trigger. I'm gonna shoot it this weekend with several different loads and projectiles so I'll let you know if it has any accuracy to it.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Spike

Default navy arms country boy 50 cal

I currently have this rifle, and I have been trying to find a 209 conversion kit. Can someone please give me feedback on this, it is hard to find information or accessories for this rifle anywhere.

thanks
Old 02-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

This model was made in China and it was also made as a shotgun that had a generic Polychoke on it.
It was known for being an accurate and inexpensive rifle with a few workmanship issues.
But AFAIK there wasn't any 209 conversion unit ever made for it.
And IIRC its early design and importation pre-dated the introduction of using 209's for muzzle loading.

Navy Arms imported many of them over a fairly short period of time which then took many years for them to sell off. But the guns were already made and the manufacturer was no longer in the picture. And Navy Arms didn't have conversion units produced for them.

Last edited by arcticap; 02-11-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one, bought years ago. Mine does not have a stainless barrel, but the bore appears ro have been chromed or highly polished. It is an okay shooter. Fairly barrel heavy though ... balance is quite forward. I've never loaded more than 100 grains in mine, and I've had best accuracy with measured pyrodex at arounf 85 grains, though I've not shot many different projectiles from it to learn it's preferences.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by graveyard zombie
Thanks cayugad. I plan on using Black Mag3 starting out with 75 grains until I work up a load that shoots well. I bought the gun pretty much in complete disassembly in a gun case with the barrel and stock inside and a pocket on the case containing everything small. I've got to put it all back together and the breechplug is out of it enabling to to look down the bore. The gun is a little dusty but it doesn't look like it has been fired much, if at all. The bore is real shiny so I don't know if it is just the stainless or if it is chrome lined. It also has both the #11 & musket nipple with it. Don't know if anyone makes a 209 conversion kit or if another brand might fit. The barrel contains your usual warnings along with the Navy Arms Country Boy 1-32 twist. On the side with the warnings it also has the cursed "made in China". I did email Navy Arms and got an almost instant reply stating that a copy of the manual would be mailed to me tomorrow morning. I guess I'll find out more when the manual arrives. I'll let you know how it shoots. It comes up quick and feels good handling it. May just be a diamond in the rough. Didn't cost hardly anything so if I'm disappointed in how it shoots I won't be upset with what I paid for it.
209 primer conversion for country boy.
These are an under rated rifle in my,opinion.
The bore is indeed chrome lined, the bolt is stainless steel.
I,know of no conversion kit for it at present, heck I'd love to have one my self.
I may do some tinkering and see if I can make one for mine.
Have a good one.