Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question on scope zero/parallax

Old 09-10-2002, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question on scope zero/parallax

Ok, I just finished the bore sight of 2 new variable power scopes for the ML's. I did the look down the barrel and the optical bore sight just to be sure. My typical method would be to place a large piece of cardboard out at 50 yds, place the gun in the Lohman site vice, put the hairs on the bull and let one go. From there I would position the gun/scope back onto the bull then dial the scope adjustments (W/E) to line up with the point of impact. In theory the scope is zero @50 yds. I would then shoot a 3 shot group to detirmine if load was consistant and the gun likes that load. Assuming that is correct I would then move the same cardboard out to 100 yds and let another on fly and check location then adjust as necessary. Now that we have that longwinded explanation that I used for fixed power scopes, do I do the same for a varaible power??? I keep reading about "Adjusted to zero parallax at 50 yards" What the hell is zero parallax? And if it is at 50 yards what happens at 100+ yards. I would assume moving the scope to mid power and sight to the 50 yds first then max power out at 100 yds. Am I on the right track or am I reading way to much into the whole thing. I dont shoot comp but I do require a 1 shot kill and that requires the bullet hits where I aim it. Any clarification would be appreciated. Heading out this weekend to bang 2 in. 1 has a Simmons 1.5-5 power camo pro-diamond and the other has a Pine Ridge 2-7 duplex. Thanks
Old 09-12-2002, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question on scope zero/parallax

With your rifle locked in that vice, and the crosshairs centered on a mark on the 50-yard target, move your eye back and forth behind the scope. Do the crosshairs appear to move in relation to the target? If not, there is no parallax. But, if the crosshairs DO appear to move, there is some parallax. Most high power rifle scopes are supposedly adjusted to be parallax free from 75 to 100 yards on out to infinity, while rimfire rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader scopes are supposedly adjusted to have no parallax from 50 yards on out to inifinity. I actually use regular rifle scopes on my muzzleloaders, so I suppose mine do suffer from a little parallax at ranges under 100 yards. This is so miniscule, it would not cause you to miss a deer-sized target anyway, so I just ignore it (parallax, that is!!).

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 09-12-2002, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

When using a variable scope, I zero in using the magnification I plan to use the most often when hunting.

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 09-12-2002, 10:03 AM

The Leupold Answer Guide

What is parallax?

Parallax is essentially an optical illusion. It is the apparent movement of the target relative to the reticle when you move your eye away from the center point of the eyepiece. It occurs when the target does not fall on the same optical plane as the reticle.

Maximum parallax occurs when your eye is at the very edge of the exit pupil. (Even in this unlikely event, our 4x hunting scope focused for 150 yards has a maximum error of only 8/10ths of an inch at 500 yards.)

At short distances, the parallax effect does not affect accuracy. (Using the same 4x scope at 100 yards, the maximum error is less than 2/10ths of an inch.) It is also good to remember that, as long you are sighting straight through the middle of the scope, or close to it, parallax will have virtually no effect on accuracy in a hunting situation.

Shoot Straight,

SmokePole
Old 09-21-2002, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Was out on Thursday banging away with my setup. I had 2 CVA HunterBolt Mags, one scoped out with a Simmons 1.5-5 pro diamond the other with a Cabelas Pine Ridge 2-7. I started at the 50 yd with the scopes dialed to mid magnification. The Simmons hit first shot 2" left of the bull (not bad for a bore sight) Dialed it over and the next 3 rounds were all touching. I set this one down to cool off and started on the other. First shot 5" high and 2 right. From here I did the dial the scope to the point of impact and let loose with a 3 round volly....A 1 1/2" group. Boy this was easy! Went over to the 100 yard and started over. First by raising the elevation 3" on both scopes cranked them to max mag and started with the Simmons, I should mention that I shoot loose cleanshot 100 gr and powerbelts, all I do is run a copper brush and a dry patch down the barrel every 3-5 shots...anyway the simmons was still about 1" low so I brought it up and placed the next 3 rounds in a 2" group and 5 within 3". Next was the Cabelas, first round out hit dead nuts on the X the next 5 shots were within 3 1/2" and I was starting to get a bit sore so packed it in. Bottom line is I did a eldeguelo said and basically ignored the parallax issue and just shot em as I have done in the past. They will both take deer and hit where I put em. Thanks for the replies