Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Disc Extreme 'I'm Hooked"

Old 02-13-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Disc Extreme 'I'm Hooked"

I'm new to your forum, and new to muzzel loading. Excuse me if I ramble a bit. I am an accomplished competitive smallbore shooter but for some reason haven't dabbled into charcoal burners, until now. After extensive eavesdropping on your websight, and some personal investigation, I arrived at my first M/L. It's a Knight Disc Extreme 50 cal. which I topped with a Leupold 4x and Leupold mounts. I was impressed with the finish, fit , and feel of the rifle compared with some of the imported brands. My first trip to the range was a good one. The only problem was it's a public range with only 2 hours of alloted time. I started out with T/C 240 gr. cheap shot sabots and 80 gr. of Pyrodex RS FFg. Due to time constraints, that was the only load I tried. It was more of a familiarization range trip. After bore sighting, my first two shots at 50 yds were touching. I swabbed a "spit patch" between shots. I moved out to 100 yds, and after zeroing, I found I could hold 2" groups. I think this gun has some serious potential. I am going to order some various trial packs of Precision's Extreme HP, and Dead Center sabots to experiment with. I am open to any suggestions for weight and/or other brands that work well in Disc rifles. I would also like to thank members of this forum who have already unknowingly helped me. Hey... this black powder stuff is fun.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Disc Extreme 'I'm Hooked"

It sounds like you do have a serious shooting piece of equipement there. Congratulations on a fine rifle, and what sounded like a fine day at the range.

I don't have a Disc Extreme but I do have a Wolverine. It really likes the 250 grain Barnes Expanders. I load them with 85 grains of Goex 3f and the accuracy is outstanding. I think you could push them a little more with your rifle and still keep excellent groups.

Also the Knight Red Hot sabots 250-300 range will shoot excellent out of your rifle if it is anything like mine. One thing I will say for this Knight is it will shoot well, almost anything I shove down its throat.

If you want to do some plinking do not forget the patched .490 roundballs. Keep the powder charge down and it might surprise you at how well it will hold them out to 50 yards. After that they start to fall off.

Sorry to hear you could not get more range time. I guess I do not realize how lucky I am to have my own shooting range in the back yard. I would be lost if someone only gave me two hours out there...

Good luck and have many more suscessful range sessions.. Keep us posted... Great rifle and scope there.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TTUgoldeye

I'm new to your forum, and new to muzzel loading. Excuse me if I ramble a bit. I am an accomplished competitive smallbore shooter but for some reason haven't dabbled into charcoal burners, until now. After extensive eavesdropping on your websight, and some personal investigation, I arrived at my first M/L. It's a Knight Disc Extreme 50 cal. which I topped with a Leupold 4x and Leupold mounts.
Ok, first this is no way a criticism of your choice for your first muzzleloader or of inlines and pseudo blackpowder but I want to point out that you still haven't "dabbled into charcoal burners", as you put it. Perhaps if you tried a traditional spirited rifle, using a traditional patch & ball and burning real charcoal(blackpowder), you might discover some additional excitement about them.

Again, I don't want to drag up a senseless traditional vs modern debate. I just feel that many people now get started in muzzleloading with a modern rifle, using modern powders and modern projectiles and never give themselves the opportunity to try the more traditional spirited methods. If they do try them, perhaps they might find that they could become "hooked" on them.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:56 AM

Welcome to the site and sport.... My Knight Disc original loves Swift A-Frames 245 gr. and 3 pyrodex 50 gr. pellets. In my opinion you invested your money in one of the finest gun companies I have ever dealt with. Here's a link to another site dedicated to all types of M/L. Good luck... http://wolfhound.proboards27.com/index.cgi
Jim B.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:41 AM
bigcountry

still haven't "dabbled into charcoal burners",
Please, get off your high horse. Your pouring powder down a barrel and lighting it off.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

TTUgoldeye,

Congratulations!

The Knight Extreme .50cal topped off with Leupold 4X will be an excellent hunting and target setup.
Take care of this rifle and you will have many, many years of service.

2-hours range time with an ML goes by quick- huh?

Again, super inline package and welcome to the world of front stuffing ML's!

Don't worry about not being that "traditional". You rifle will shoot PRB (patch and roundball) with lighter loads likely very well. It will also shoot traditional black powder if you like.
Keep PRB's in mind for inexpensive and fun shooting or small game loads.

This happens to lots of folks; Bought my first muzzleloader and then before you know it, you will one day discover a sidelock percussion or flint and a bag of patch and balls have found it's way into your gun cabinet.

Stay shooting and keep us posted!
Old 02-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

still haven't "dabbled into charcoal burners",
Please, get off your high horse. Your pouring powder down a barrel and lighting it off.
Did you not read my whole post? I went to great pains to make sure that my point was understood and apparently you didn't get it. Reread what I wrote! You are the one trying to light the fire.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:26 PM
bigcountry

No, man, the guy comes on here and tells about a good experience with his muzzleloader, which makes me smile and you come on here being a kill joy. I am sure he and everyone is aware of traditionals and all and the spirit of it. I mean you had to go into great pains to explain you didn't want senseless debate and all that. If you had to explain it that heavily, then you probably had an idea how it might be taken.

It would be less senseless if you said, "hey congradulations, I am glad you like it." Maybe you can try a traditional next time and see how you like it, maybe you will like it as I do".

Old 02-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

No, man, the guy comes on here and tells about a good experience with his muzzleloader, which makes me smile and you come on here being a kill joy. I am sure he and everyone is aware of traditionals and all and the spirit of it. I mean you had to go into great pains to explain you didn't want senseless debate and all that. If you had to explain it that heavily, then you probably had an idea how it might be taken.

It would be less senseless if you said, "hey congradulations, I am glad you like it." Maybe you can try a traditional next time and see how you like it, maybe you will like it as I do".
Well, you seem to insist on reading more into my post than I meant to say or imply. I thought that I stated my point as simply and as plainly as I could and clearly explained that it was not intended as any kind of slight or put down of TTUgoldeye. Let me repeat the point I wanted to make once more, so you clearly understand it.
ORIGINAL: sabinajiles

[I just feel that many people now get started in muzzleloading with a modern rifle, using modern powders and modern projectiles and never give themselves the opportunity to try the more traditional spirited methods.
I thought that was pretty plain and can't see how it can possibly be construed as an insult. If you insist on interpreting the manner I prefaced that statement as more than I intended, then I am sorry I didn't have the luxury of consuting with you first, to get your expert opinion on precise wording that wouldn't offend your sensibilities. I believe I have explained myself as precisely as I can and you can accept it or not. You say you are offended by the manner in which I wrote but I am certainly offended that you presume to know more about my intent than I myself know!

To TTUgoldeye, I am delighted that you had a good experience with your Knight Disc Extreme and pray that you did not feel I was putting you down. If so, then I truely am sorry. However, I hope you are not so satifsfied that you never take on opportunity to do some extended shooting with a sidelock rifle, using patched round balls and blackpowder, because I believe you might really enjoy it. This was the sole intent of my first post but, as you have seen, it is extremely difficult to express any opinion about a traditional style muzzleloader in the same post as a modern muzzleloader, or vice versa, without someone getting riled up and making an issue of it.

I do own an inline, a Knight MK-85, but it was purchased after I had already owned and used sidelocks for years. I did shoot it quite a bit and have hunted whitetail with it, but it rarely gets used now, as I get much more personal pleasure from shooting, and hunting, with my sidelocks, using black powder and round balls. This is my choice and I certainly don't look in disdain at anyone that doesn't feel the same as I. However, I make no apologies for trying to convince others to at least experience traditional muzzleloading.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:06 PM

Do they still make sidelocks

Quick Reply: Disc Extreme 'I'm Hooked"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.